Clear all

John frusciante's Guitar Effects in Chili Pepper songs

18 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
22.2 K Views
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

As with anything to do with Frusciante/Chilis, I was interested to see the title and had a quick look in here. Having scrolled down I realised that it must be quite an old topic, because I'd already posted! :D

Having just whipped out the CD and checking it again, I don't know whether you're talking about how he achieves the tone for the whole solo as of 2.37 or specifically about the noise that "introduces" it.

If you're talking about the later, then that's feedback primarily with overdrive/gain and a fuzz device. You'll only really achieve this if you play pretty loudly, though- not possible for some... well, most. :(

If you're talking about the tone during the solo, it would have to be a mixture of many things. But I think as we have all agreed in this thread, Frusciante uses loads of pedals. I think I counted 13 Moogs on his latest board pictures alone! But an overdrive pedal (I recommend the Boss Super Overdrive SD-1), a wah pedal (Vox Clyde McCoy?), a compression pedal (I'm stumped here, cos I hate them all. They're fine if you can play at earth shattering volumes, but otherwise they're far too noisy- hum and buzz-wise) will do well for someone that doesn't have the money(?) (or ability?) to justify much more than that.

As for the fuzz pedal, it's quite a unique thing from what I can tell. I love my 60s and 70s and so I have a taste for true original fuzz and to me the latest incarnations are far too clean. I really want one to add to the rest of my pedals, because I'm pretty sure it's the biggest missing tone from what I can make and want to make.

* 2 little tips though for budding guitarists (of which I'm still one... :) Well atleast I hope>)

- If you want to learn more about the effects that peope use, try crashing the song (but not the computer) by using control+alt+delete (only works on some systems etc.). This will help because it should repeat the last second 2 or 3 times or even ad infinitum! I can do this just by shifting the song time bar in my version of Winamp, too. Otherwise just ask on here. A combination of the two will work- but the first method is good for telling whether it's reverb or delay or echo, similar effects etc.

- A nice little trick you can use if you play at high volumes with distortion is to hit open strings in the gaps in your solos. This is incredibly bad technique for people who haven't got quite a bit of experience and have the basics of clean playing and speed! It will just sound poor if you don't have the rest of the soloing skills to back it up! However, if used properly (as Frusciante and others can) hitting open strings with high distortion and high volume almost goes beyond sounding as a note and just gives a really cool (I love it) crunch of distorted noise useful for putting inbetween phrases in a solo. Take note that I said almost goes beyond being a note... :) Ie. I would advise you to use your theory to know whether the song has an A or D in the key/scale. If it doesn't then banging them will give a distorted crunch, but with an out of tune note to go with it.

-rant over-

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

Yeah, it was weird browsing this topic and seeing my posts in here considering I haven't been here in a year.

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Yeah, it was weird browsing this topic and seeing my posts in here considering I haven't been here in a year.

That's owing to someone resurrecting an old post. You can see that this post started in the summer of 2006 and your first post in this thread is dated August 2006.

It is amazing (in a good way) sometimes that folks take the trouble to search for the old posts on topics they might easily start all over again.

Peace

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2