Just Curious

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

I was just browsing through http://www.samedaymusic.com and looking at pretty decent guitars.Now some people have written reviews about Fender's Standard strat like "it is not good as les paul standard ; my whammy bar broke up ; can't use whammy got out of tune , tone knobs are no special etc or some say - 'nothing like fender etc'.Now we know that this guitar is made in mexico right? and Gibson LP is US made.So does difference lies there? Which one is the better one and like especially for a beginner at electric guitar (I know playing acoustic , atleast some of it).I am planning to buy .... like in somewhat future .Hey and last but not least , I am a lefty so choices are like quite limited for me :( .And what about Ibanez ones .Jeez there so many out there that one is just like mad what to choose.

Hey , am just .. curious.

Rock on :wink:

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ok and what about humbuckers and single coils.I am fried of the diverse opinion.What exactly meets the demands of a beginner and what difference in sound is created by these.I mean does using them produces any significant changes in sound?If that's than what is the better one

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Also , is reversing the strings good option on a righty.Cause there are quite a lot of them , which are good and cheap but only righty :evil: . , like the behriger vtone pack(110 $ one)

ReplyQuote
(@ajcharron)
Estimable Member

Reversing strings is certainly an option: Hendrix played that way and a lot of others do too. Remember that when you see professional musicians playing Strats and Les Pauls, they're playing 1960's models, not new ones.

Both Fender and Gibson are living off their reputations. The better guitars out there and even the good ones are other brands. Tonnes to choose from, you have to try them out and play them as long as it takes before dishing out the money.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Made in USA means very little besides that you're guaranteed to pay more for the wages of the dudes who build the guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I totally agree with A-J about other manufacturers. When you think of a Strat, you think of Fender, don't you? How many think of G&L? G&L guitars are 2nd generation Strats - the "L" stands for Leo, as in Leo Fender. What about Blade? Top notch guitar, with several improvements over Fenders at similar prices.
Gibson? What about "Heritage" - these are what Gibsons used to be like - they're made in Gibson's original factory on Gibson's original machines by a lot of ex-Gibson employees. Most people say they're better quality than Gibson, at half the price. I've just bought a Washburn 335-look-alike. Beautiful finish, bound all over, including the back of the body and headstock. They cost less than a quarter of the price opf a Gibson.

There are so many companies, producing guitars that are at least the equal of a Fender or Gibson, just without the pulling power of the name.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Greybeard - since your post about Heritage guitars, I have tried to find more about them. I have found that most people do consider them a great value compared to Gibson or PRS. The problem is nobody really seems to deal them except rare and occasional Mom and Pop stores. Got any ideas?

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Sorry, I live in Germany and the first one that I've had a good chance to play turned up in our local guitar store last week. It's a small shop and usually has pretty high prices, compared to larger places and he's asking €1590 (about $1800) for a brand new 535 in Cherry. A really nice guitar, beautiful fretboard, plays really well - it's just that, for me, the neck is too thick (and I don't have €1600 spare :cry: ). In the US that would go for around $1200 I would guess.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ok to tell you all guys , i am from India and here you can hardly find guitars of international brands in all cities.Very hard to find a store which sells here :( .After a lot of searching i found one store selling behriger's vtone pack and that too sells here for 200 $ here , which sells for 110 $ at other places :evil: .I think i ill buy it........ :? Hell , i want a fender or a gibson :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

John,

didn't Fender licence Sunn to produce Strats in India?

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

John,

didn't Fender licence Sunn to produce Strats in India?

Does it have.Will you please give me the address of it , where i can find it.Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@elgalad)
Eminent Member

Hi everyone,

I've played both Les Pauls (Gibsons) and Strats (Fender) and have found the LP a much friendlier guitar to play, mostly because of the humbuckers "hiding" a lot of technical mistakes, but also because of the slightly shorter scale length. However, I think the single coils are a better choice for beginners because they show up more mistakes and thus allows you to better hone your skills. Better to get the skills first, then move on to a LP or other humbucker-carrying guitar, IMHO :)

Later

Use the Big Muff, Luke

ReplyQuote