Clear all

Putting it down (for a few days)

12 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

The last two weeks I playing like a man who sold his soul. I was playing Cold Shot and Purple Haze all the way through, solo and all with no mistakes, every song I learned in the past was a joke to me when I replayed them at the end of each practice. I was Learning new stuff in half the time.

But, one week your on top of world the next you get you butt kicked. For three days in a row I just plain suck. Its like my fingers are drunk. :lol: and me because I keep forgetting notes. I guess everyone has a slump during guitar learning. When you mess up on your warm up drills thats a bad sign.

Since I keep talking on and on I will spend my days or week off to study some theory and look at my Showdown Album guitar book with all the song tabs from my favorite guitarists Albert Collins, Johny Copeland, and Robert Cray it came today. That's the only way I can ever take lessons from those guys. I can also spend some time reading the posts in the Guitarnoise forum.

Peace!!! :)

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

(@shadychar)
Trusted Member

I hate this! One day I'll think I'm doing really well and the next I can't even do scale runs.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I believe its common. Every guitarist I know has gone through the same from time to time. I go through times when I play to much I get physically and emotionally drained. Playing can take a lot out of you, about that time is when all the good stuff comes to light and you don't want to put your guitar down.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I actually have 2 "i'm not playing today" scheduled into my weekly practice. I still usually pick up a guitar on those days if I have some free time (yeah, like that happens ...) but I am in no way compelled to do so. And I don't "practice" at all.

It's important to give your brain and fingers time to absorb what you're working on. Well timed breaks in your schedule are just as important as the scale runs . ..

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I think everyone has highs and lows. I put mine down from time to time and read forum posts ect.. then all of a sudden I see a song somehwere and next thing you know that guitar is back in my hands.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

It's especially true in classical guitar, one day you'll fly through a piece and the next day you could cut a nail and then BAM, you feel like you're wounded.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@elgalad)
Eminent Member

Argh, this is always a pain.

This always happens to me every couple of months for at least a few days, and usually affects my improv. more than anything. I just find that I've been playing too much and I'm sick of trying to improv new lines over old songs. Usually a few days off turns things around, but this is usually also a good sign that its time to go on a learning spree. Find some new songs you've never tried before, and see if you can learn as much of them as possible :)

Cheers

Use the Big Muff, Luke

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I hear where your coming from. Sometimes when I pick up one of my guitars and run through my warm up it just feels really awkward so I just put it down and do something else like read or whatever. I have even tried picking up a different guitar and it is the same. Then when I pick it up later everything is just fine again. I don't know, it seems like some chemistry is off at that moment or my mind is elsewhere or something.

Thank god it does not happen often or when people are listening. I play bad for other reasons when people are listening :lol:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

djdubb,

Sometimes that happens and you CAN'T avoid it! It's damn near imposable!

I do like the suggestion of learning something new thought. It gets your head out of your dilemma and you can concentrate on something other than what you were having problems with but, I would still recommend taking a day or two off. It does help, AND it makes you appreciate the guitar THAT much more!

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Grrr...I hate it when that happens, like this week. I had a great go at Metallica's Four Horsemen on Monday, then Tuesday it was back to the drawing board...er...fret board again.

Yup, it happens. The ups and downs of playing guitar...or anything in life for that matter. Tracker's probably right, just take a day or so off and you'll come back stronger then ever, wanting it (that sweet guitar) more then ever.

:D

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

i hate that, i get so mad i feel like smashing my guitar sometimes,
just gotta walk away sometimes.

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

just gotta walk away sometimes.

Thems true words

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote