Clear all

Les Paul Tuning Keys

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have a Jay Turser Les Paul copy, that is currently strung with light strings, 9's. I'm soon to be back up to 10's, in about a month. The problem is the tuning keys are useless, and neither 9's nor 10's stay in tune at all. I have a fair number of wraps about the peg, but to no avail. There is little more frustrating then a guitar that won't stay in tune. What are some decent tuning keys to upgrade to?

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

Sperzel and Grover are well known and have a reputation of being quality. I'm sure there are plenty more but I would look into those to. (Mine are grovers and they always stay in tune)

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I have Schaller locking tuners and I'm amazed at how easy it tunes up and stays there.

With some of my other guitars I can turn the tuner a good quarter turn before noticing any change in pitch.

The Schallers however move when you look at them hard. Meaning they have great response and are solid tuners.

JMH experience.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I have a fair number of wraps about the peg, but to no avail.

What are some decent tuning keys to upgrade to?

Paul
First to check is the windings. You quoted "having a fair amount of windings". Too many windings will also cause tuning problems. Make sure it is a max of 3 turns.

Second, if the tuners have screws on the end of the knob snug them up a little. They cause more friction to help hold the post in place better.

Third, make sure you are stretching the strings by pulling up a little in the middle of each then re-tune them.

You got some good recommendations on tuners so I won't go there.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If you do change the tuners, be aware that they all have different diameter shafts (shaft length could, possibly also a concern). Some also require a profiled hole - two different diameters, one for the shaft and another for a shaft bushing.
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=tuners

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote