Notifications
Clear all

Looking for help buying next guitar

23 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@banre)
Reputable Member

After having one for the past two weeks, I heartily recommend a Squire '51. Stock it has a plethora of sounds, plus there is a thriving mod community for it. It comes with a single coil in the neck and a 'bucker in the bridge. The neck pup is swappable for a 'Lil Killer from GFS for next to nothing, if you want the 'bucker in the neck.

They list for $150 everywhere, but if you watch you can pick on up for $100. I found mine on clearance at Guitar Center for that price.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

It just means the wood had more defects such as knots (I'm presuming they mean lumber grade), but wood is so variable, it can be hard to predeict what the effect on tone is actually going to be. I'd be slightly more worried about the quality of he other components although I'm sure even on the 2000 they are servicable. I like the looks of the 3500 because it's the closest to the original LP specs: mahogany neck, 3/4 maple top and it has a goth bridge. But I'm not certain that's what you need.

This is from a person who bought a Japanese made Epiphone Elitist. Now that'll last you, but it does cost somewhat more.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

After having one for the past two weeks, I heartily recommend a Squire '51. Stock it has a plethora of sounds, plus there is a thriving mod community for it. It comes with a single coil in the neck and a 'bucker in the bridge. The neck pup is swappable for a 'Lil Killer from GFS for next to nothing, if you want the 'bucker in the neck.

They list for $150 everywhere, but if you watch you can pick on up for $100. I found mine on clearance at Guitar Center for that price.

When my order cam in from Musician's Friend I got an insert flyer and they habe the '51's listed at $119 however their site still says $149. I'd call them and say you have a friend who has a flyer with it at $119 and see if you can get it from them.

I got mine on a clearance from Media Play for $110. Mine is the Sunburst and I love it!

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

I got mine on a clearance from Media Play for $110. Mine is the Sunburst and I love it!

Mine is black, with the white pickguard. I don't really care for that pickguard, so I'm making my own out of some wood. It's cut out, now I need to route the edges and stain it. I'm going to put "Merlot" colored stain, then some acrylic stuff over that for a glossy covering.

Once that's done, I'm replacing the stock bridge (only part of the guitar that I hate) with one for GFS, solid black. Then I'm going to replace the neck pickup with a black one as well (probably a GFS Lil Killer). I'll be posting some pics as soon as I get it back in a state where it looks good. :D Plays great right now, just has no pickguard at all on it. :twisted:

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

The only problem is the 2000 has a B Grade top. Isn't that bad?
The 3000, which would take a little saving up for, has the nice pup and wiring, better construction, and a AA top. I wan't this guitar to last a little while.

This is a slippery slope .. then you start looking at the fact that you have more options at that price range and add a little bit more, and soon you're drooling over PRS and Carvin :-)

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well the Agile's are in my price range, and everyone gives them super reviews. I'm probobly not going to get the 51'. I don't trust squier's ability to make guitars at all. Also, I don't have any clue how to mod.

This is what attracts the agile 3000:
Good reviews
Set neck
Alcino V buckers
All the average les paul controls
The slim profile version

http://www.rondomusic.net/al3000prestthincsbf.html

I might go with the 2800, the only problem is that I don't know how well the pups will be suited to the blues as well as rock and metal. It just seems to me that the 3000 is a lot more guitar for 70 bucks.

http://www.rondomusic.net/al-2800blueq.html

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Well the Agile's are in my price range, and everyone gives them super reviews. I'm probobly not going to get the 51'. I don't trust squier's ability to make guitars at all. Also, I don't have any clue how to mod.

This is what attracts the agile 3000:
Good reviews
Set neck
Alcino V buckers
All the average les paul controls
The slim profile version

http://www.rondomusic.net/al3000prestthincsbf.html

I might go with the 2800, the only problem is that I don't know how well the pups will be suited to the blues as well as rock and metal. It just seems to me that the 3000 is a lot more guitar for 70 bucks.

http://www.rondomusic.net/al-2800blueq.html

Don't count out the 2000 or 2500...they are VERY nice and I play blues on my 2000 all the time. Plus it's only $159.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Well, duffmaster if you like the neck, then it should be the 3000. You can always have someone change the pups for you, if you find they aren't to your liking. The neck can't be changed. I'm still not certain the jump in quality from your current guitar will be enough for you, but it's always hard to judge for other people. I'm sure mikesp's 2000 sounds perfectly fine.

But don't be quite so hard on the squiers, they've improved significantly in the last few years- but I understand the 51 is not what you're looking for.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2