Clear all

Lost Interset In Guitar Playing

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@duane)
Topic starter  

Hi

I have played guitar for many, many years. Used to carry it EVERYWHERE and played daily. Now that I am older with a family I seem to have lost interest in playing guitar anymore period.

My biggest hang up is that I can not get the sound that I want when I emulate favorite lead solo's or rhythms. My ear tells me that it is not right (as recorded on record) so I get disscusted and just give up (and I am playing note for note).

Another thing I can not understand is that on some days I can pull out my 1970 gibson "les paul" standard, tweak the settings on my Peavey classic 100 watt amp and sound great. The next day I can go back and pick up the guitar, still at the same settings, and it will sound like shit to me. Whats up with that?

Well, just thought I might sound off a bit and see if anyone has any input on this.

Thanks, Duane

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Eya,

Well, you're not alone with this problem. The only real solution is just quite playing for a while, and you'll find yourself back soon enough. As for sounding like records, don't even bother. To sound exactly like someone you need to have the exact same setup, be in the same room, record in the same way and play the same as the original guitarist. Your best bet is to just dial in a tone you like and forget about the rest.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Duane

Like Arjen said, it is almost impossible to duplicate the sounds you hear on a recording. These are professional musicians with top of the line guitars, amps, and effects playing in professional studios. Many tricks are employed in the studio that the average person could never do at home.

As far as copying solos note-for-note. Why are you doing that? When I first started playing I copied solos like this. But one day it occured to me that I was beginning to sound just like the musicians I was copying. What good is that? At the best you will be labeled a good copycat. No, the greatest musicians are always known for having their own sound and style. Anybody can recognize Hendrix, or Santana, or BB King when they play. So I realized I must strive for my own sound and style. Since that day I have not copied solos. In fact, I strive to sound like no one else.

And the thing about an amp sounding different one day than another. Well, our ears are a muscle like any other. What you hear can be affected by many things. It is known that people have sharper hearing early in the morning when they are rested. If you are exposed to loud noise at work that can affect your hearing. Having a cold would surely affect your hearing. So this is not unusual.

There are infinite tones you can get from different guitars, amps, effects and settings. You could spend forever experimenting and maybe never find the ultimate tone. So I think you just have to pick a few tones you like and go with that. Isn't that what Hendrix did? He used lots of effects, but you could always recognize that tone of his. Same with Carlos Santana. He seems to have almost the same exact tone every song. So even these masters of guitar seem to gravitate pretty much toward one tone. Maybe that is what you should do. Find a tone you like and fine tune it. Make it your trademark.

And lastly, it is not easy to be involved with guitar when you are married and have a family. Believe me, I know! (I have 8 children) I started as a teen and played in a few bands. I got married in my early 20's and started a family. I still played in bands for a few years, but family life caused a conflict. I gave up bands for over 15 years. Finally, in my early 40's I got back into bands. So this is normal and has happened for tens of thousands of fellows like you. Just keep playing. There are some ways to keep it going. I used to play my guitar in church nearly every week. You can also record at home. Things like this will keep you motivated.

Anyway, hope this helped a little. Don't quit! Quitters never win, and winners never quit!

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member

I'm sure glad I read this, I have a major issue of trying to play songs exactly like they are in music books note by note, I just learned Dust in the Wind by Kerry Livgree, and I had to force myself to change some of
Interlude parts and my parents still knew what song it was.

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
(@marshallsw)
Estimable Member

Dust in the Wind was played on a 12-string. You pick up a 12 string (electric) put the brilliance setting on full, and you'll sound darned near identical to it.

You're a god among insects, never let anyone tell you different.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Duane

And the thing about an amp sounding different one day than another. Well, our ears are a muscle like any other. What you hear can be affected by many things. It is known that people have sharper hearing early in the morning when they are rested. If you are exposed to loud noise at work that can affect your hearing. Having a cold would surely affect your hearing. So this is not unusual.

Wes

Air-pressure too, as in what the weather is like.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

Also, emotional and physical health have a big influence on how we play and ultimately, sound.. Stress and exhaustion will have a negative effect on everything. Playing/Practicing while really tired is often counterproductive.
So, while playing music is a very physical activity, we also have to keep ourselves in decent shape, so the motivation's there to pick up the instrument, and invest our energy in it.

Just my two cents.....(I should take my own advice, and get in better shape...)

Keep at it....it's worth it!

Later,

~Ghost~

8)

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If I were trying to play nothing but covers note for note I'd've gotten sick of it long ago, too. I can pop a CD in a player and get it a lot more perfect than I can ever play it. Music's about creativity, not cloning.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@racer-y)
Estimable Member

HI. I got burned out, Realized I WASN'T going to be the Next Van Halen,
Started a family... The overnight surge of grunge... Yeah, The guitar started changing sounds for me too.
It changed into the dull hum of reality.
I quit for about 8 yr.s to devote that time to.....to...
Hmmm... career and commitment? The funny thing is, after replaying for about 2 years, I play better I think.
Oh well, speaking of dull hum, I got to get ready for work.
I know the sound you hear instead of the normal sound from your guitar you hear, I heard it on mine too once :(
Good luck figuring it all out.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but when
you're a 22lb sledge, do you really have to be?

ReplyQuote