Notifications
Clear all

Question on alternate tuning

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@fortyseconds)
Topic starter  

Alright. Here's what I want to know. How in the world do you tune your guitar to this: Db, Ab, Db, Db, Db, Db? If anyone does happen to know, please don't tell me to drop half steps and all the mumbo jumbo because it'll go right over my head. Say something along the lines of...tune your fifth string fifth fret to the blah string on the blah fret. Thank you very much.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

If you're using a standard set of strings, you'll bust one long before you get to that tuning. Here's what I would do....

Get a second set of strings. Open it up, and pull out a 4th string (D string). Have that ready to go.

Pick up your guitar, and fret the 8th fret of the sixth string. Pluck that and the 5th string. Lower the 6th string tuning until they match.

Now fret the 7th fret of the newly tuned 6th, and tune the 5th string down until they match.

Next, fret the 5th fret of the newly tuned 6th string, and tune the 4th string down until they match.

Now take the 3rd string off your guitar. Put on the new 4th (D) string from the extra set in the 3rd string position. Tune it until it matches the 4th string on the guitar.

Next, fret the 3rd string at the 12th fret, and tune the 2nd string up until they match.

Finally, tune down the 1st string so it matches the 2nd string.

You'll now have a low Db, an Ab, two matching Dbs, and two matching Dbs an octave higher.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I'll bet that open strum is pretty ugly sounding!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

Actually is would sound okay, their all the same note plus an ab, which sounds fine with db.
whats that tuning used for? why do you need 5 db's?

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@fortyseconds)
Topic starter  

I'm a dashboard fan...well, not so much anymore, but several of their songs used that tuning. I always wondered how the hell they did that.

ReplyQuote