Clear all

Major advice needed

14 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I am currently in the procces of applying to several colleges, however I am having a difficult time picking a major. Ideally I would like to find one that combines enginearing and music, both are subjects that I enjoy. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

wherever you go, there you are.

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Engineering is a very very difficult field and not one that lends itself to having many additional classes in your schedule.

Music can be challenging, but opens up the door for a lot of flexibility in your class selection.

What I tell most everyone who asks the "what should I major in" question . . . my advice would be -- unless you absolutely are 100% positive that the only thing you've ever wanted to be in your life is a <insert career choice here> then major in general studies for a year or two and take the widest variety of courses you can. Who knows, you might end up majoring in something you never thought about before!

But ultimately, if engineering and music are your two choices, I'd say you are probably going to have to choose between them or have a particularly long undergraduate career. Most engineering degrees require a mathematics or physics minor, and the course load is very very heavy. There just won't be room for much music there.

If you go the music route, it would be pretty easy to pick up a second major -- and here you could pick up an applied mathematics or phyiscs degree. It's not engineering, but it would be in that same arena.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

For some of us, engineering is easier than playing... 8)

One thing to consider is future flexibility. A music degree should lead to a music career, which may not be as lucrative as you hope. A technical degree will usually open more doors. And until you become a success in music, you'll need a day job.

One alternative to consider is to get a teaching degree, with a minor in music. Teaching is a respected profession that has enough flexibility to allow you to pursue your music interests.

One other option is to get a degree in marketing, and learn the business side of the music industry. This will also give you many viable career paths.

Tell us more about what you are thinking...

Good luck.

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

For some of us, engineering is easier than playing... 8)

One thing to consider is future flexibility. A music degree should lead to a music career, which may not be as lucrative as you hope. A technical degree will usually open more doors. And until you become a success in music, you'll need a day job.

One alternative to consider is to get a teaching degree, with a minor in music. Teaching is a respected profession that has enough flexibility to allow you to pursue your music interests.

One other option is to get a degree in marketing, and learn the business side of the music industry. This will also give you many viable career paths.

Tell us more about what you are thinking...

Good luck.

Laz

I would never tell anyone to get a teaching degree. Even if they want to be a teacher! Education degrees simply don't transfer outside of the public school arena!

If you do get a music degree, it's not a bad idea to pick up another major with it -- a business major actually plays along with music very nicely. Bands need managers, agents, etc., and so do radio stations, large venues, etc. Lots of people make money from music, so someone who knows both music and business can often find very nice positions.

Ultimately, however, don't choose your major based on marketability. Choose your major based on what interests you. You can make a very good living with any degree.

I work in a large financial institution and make a very good living. I work with people who have degrees ranging from music performance (from Julliard no less) to astronomy. I personally have a bucketload of degrees (I collect them for some reason) and not one of them is actually relevant to what I do for a living.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I think KP has more knowledge than I in this arena. As an engineer, I don't run into many folk who don't have technical degrees.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Why don't you look at a degree program at a music school like Berkley and get into recording engineer or something. Kind of the best of both worlds.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I think KP has more knowledge than I in this arena. As an engineer, I don't run into many folk who don't have technical degrees.

-Laz

Yeah, I'd be willing to bet you are surrounded with engineers and MBA's and not a whole lot else . . .

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

-Laz

Yeah, I'd be willing to bet you are surrounded with engineers and MBA's and not a whole lot else . . .

... and I spend my free time with a doctor...

ReplyQuote
(@peaveyt60)
Eminent Member

Alot of my friends who are in to music have gone into electrical engineering. They now help me alot with amps/gear. Its a great major and even if you can't break into the music industry, you have a good degree to fall back on. Just my two cents.
-Ben

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Just a thought, I have an engineering degree but I have found that if given a choice, I probabily wanted a music degree, BUT, knowing a few people who DID get music degrees, (I was a member of a light opera company, SORRY, production direction for those of you that will think I can sing!) and I found out that I made more money than they did! Not that they were less talented than me but there was more of a calling for what I offered than what they offered. A very talented group of people doing what they loved and getting paid less than poverty levels for something that no one else could do! I never understood this until I actually performed in front of people and understood what it was like. What they taught me is that music was a passion but you still needed to take care of your basic needs to feed that. I'm fortunate that I also have an interest in how things work and am good at fixing said things and have made a good living at it. Always set your course in life in being able to take care of yourself and your loved ones and you will find out that the things that you have a real passion in will take care of themselves! THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, it worked for me! Thank you for letting me rave, it's been a bad day....

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Always set your course in life in being able to take care of yourself and your loved ones and you will find out that the things that you have a real passion in will take care of themselves! THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, it worked for me! Thank you for letting me rave, it's been a bad day...

See, what worked for me is precisely the opposite. I followed my passions, and having a job that payed enough for me to get by took care of itself.

*shrug*

Personally, I think you have to live your life for what you love to do. You can make money at anything, but if you hate it, you're going to spend the better part of your adult life being miserable.

But that doesn't mean be imprudent. Like I said above, if you love music major in it, but pick up a business degree as well. Maybe you won't perform, but that doesn't mean you can't be involved with music and still make money.

But I've met a few people who went into law, engineering, medicine, accounting, or whatever just because "that's where the money is." There's very few of them I'd be willing to change places with. By and large they're miserable people.

Now, the people who went into those fields because they loved it, those folks have it made! And not because they pull down the 6-figure incomes, but because they get to be engaged with something they enjoy on a daily basis!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If you like engineering, go with it. There are many avenues from engineering to music -- as well as many other fields.

Engineering is neither a professional nor social ghetto. As an engineer and engineering manager, I've worked with people who have degrees and backgrounds in education, musical performance (those Julliard people are everywhere), psych, art history, law, economics, graphic arts, multi-media production, medicine, journalism ... and even engineering. Engineers are everywhere and into everything these days.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@chae)
Eminent Member

i am in the middle of doing an engineering diploma and find it covers every aspect of engineering from electrical ( amps, wavesforms etc ) to audio engineering using sound equipment studio time and even mechanical. But im sure you can do specific courses just in audio engineering

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

In our guitar shop I dont know how many times our engineer guy has been like, "Wait wait wait, if you do this this and this, cut this corner here and cut this out another inch, youll save 8 ounces, have a sleeker body and spend less on wood..." and were like "Wow." And dont forget, you can tech for Anyone if you play and are a good enginer because, problem solving is the main thing with that isint?

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote