Skip to content
Maple vs. rosewood ...

Notifications
Clear all

Maple vs. rosewood fretboard? Opinions/info please!

36 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@musica23)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

To me the only guitar that looks "right" with maple headstock and rosewood fretboard is a nice three-tone sunburst.

In a sense, that's exactly what I've got now. It's just that it's cherry sunburst instead of the 3-tone or 2-tone that's typically offered by Fender.

I agree that there's something cool looking about the maple, but the most important part to me by far is playability. Besides...this guitar is no ugly duckling... :wink:

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
 ss43
(@ss43)
Trusted Member

Ten years ago I played countles strats and settled on a lonestar candy apple red w/maple fretboard. It has a satin finish and by far is the fastest guitar that I have ever played. I played probably 50 guitars on a several month search with both rosewood and maple and this one was the bomb. It was not "grabby" at all. I hated the way the guitar looked when I bought it though with that ugly pearloid pickguard and because I was partial to rosewood. My daughter even snuck in the case one day and tied satin pink hair ribbons on the tuner pegs and I thought, well that's fitting - of course I left them there for a few months for her benefit, looks are only skin deep. I got the guitar for the way it played and sounded, not for the way it looked. But let me tell you, that after ten years this guitar's looks have become very beautiful due to the natural aging of the wood and plastic - that ugly pearliod pickguard even looks good now. From ugly duckling to beautiful swan. The finish on the fretboard has held up extremely well, not a flaw, and I play the crap out of my guitars. My son hates to play this guitar. He says it is too fast and he cannot tell where he is at - he likes those jombo fretted thingys. However, as the frets have worn it has started to slow down a bit. I plan on dressing the frets soon and in a couple of years relpace them.

The big factor to consider with maple is the quality and type of finish where as rosewood doesn't have a finish so you don't have to concern yourself with it. I recently added a US standard olympic white w/rosewood and it plays equally well, very, very sweet. When I got this guitar I also tried one of those nitro celulose reissues w/maple fret board. The neck was so "grabby" on my palm I hated it.

Good hunting

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Despite the fact that all my guitars have Rosewood, i greatly prefer maple fingerboards. I love the way they feel and age. That dirty look is syk...

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Congrats and I'm glad you are happy.

Now satisfy the rest of us with some pictures of you playing it!

I don't know how satisfied you all would be, but I'll try and do that! :wink:

I'm OK at computer but haven't done too much with photos, but I'll give it a try.

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Welcome!

I'm glad you got the guitar that works for you.

Not that anyone was eagerly awaiting this response, but in my estimation Fender Teles and Strats were born with maple fretboards. Rosewood belongs on Les Pauls and acoustic guitars.

Just chiming in.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

That is pretty much where I stand on it, Dali! Well said!

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3