Clear all

Martin or Taylor?

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I was wondering what yall thought was better: a Martin DXME, or a Taylor 110? Electronics don't matter but i saw them on the martin.

Stairway to Freebird!

(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I personally think your paying more for the name than either one is worth. But if I had to make a choice I'd choose the Taylor. I believe that Martin is made of a composite material and there's just something about a composite acoustic that bothers me. I think there are some better choices out there in that price range.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

I agree with Tim, just something about the Martin DX series bothers me the backs and sides are made of some sort of composite material, it just dosent look right, I think they look cheap, although I think it's only fair to say I've liked the sound on the DX1 that I've played, they sound like a Martin. The Taylor 110 sounds and plays like a Taylor, in my opinion these two guitars are very different in sound, I would suggest playing both and choosing what sounds best to your ears....

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

In that price range are a huge number of choices other than those two.

I think that in this range, more than in the upper ranges, you really are paying a premium for the decal on the headstock.

As for which of the two? Six of one, half dozen of the other to me. It's really a personal choice.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

as many of you probably know from my repeated posts about it, I have a DX1.

Great sound and the composite backs dont look all that bad. If sometihng happened to it, i'd buy another one. I think the Taylor is equally good, but you have to play them both. My vote is for the Martin, simply because I have one and can't live without it.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

I have a Taylor 12 string 455CE and I just got back from my local music store where I played some used Martins and a couple new Taylors. I thing Taylors are great if you need an wired acoustic. They are fantastic guitars. However, I would don't think the ones below the 400 series are worth the money.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

what exactly are the "other guitars"? Your right, i did choose between a martin and a taylor because their supposed to be the best acoustic brands.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

I prefer Ovaiton myself. For 300 you get an AMAZING guitar that also sounds beautiful plugged in.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Breedlove, seagull, the fenders above DG20 and my favorite Tacoma.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Breedlove atlas series are great, seagulls are good. I personally like the Fender DG-22s and 25s.

Tacoma makes a great guitar for the time being. We'll have to see now that they have been bought by Fender.

Ovations are either love 'em or hate 'em. You should try them yourself. They do make an excellent choice for Jazz.

ReplyQuote
(@olive)
Estimable Member

Takamine and Alvarez also make some fantastic guitars.

"My ex-boyfriend can't tell me I've sold out, because he's in a cult, and he's not allowed to talk to me." --Dar Williams

ReplyQuote