Clear all

Might loose index finger, need advice on playing

24 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@wmwise)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey Guys, I was in an accident at work and it looks like I might loose the use of my index finger. Do you think that it might be possible to teach myself to use only the three fingers or will it be better to try and learn to play left handed?? I play acoustic in a country band.
Any advice will be VERY helpful. I have been playing for many years, just kills me to think that I might not be able to do it anymore.
Have even been thinking that I might have to go to a steel guitar or maybe a 4 string tenor guitar.

Thanks in advance!!
Bill

De Oppresso Liber

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You can play right-handed; you'll just need to change some fingerings around. Django Reinhardt lost the use of two fingers (ring and pinky) on his fretting hand, and still became one of the all-time great guitarists.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

A tenor guitar is great for rhythm. My wife has one and though it's right-handed (I'm a lefty), I pick it up now and then and really love it.

Lap steel is really nice too. I've gotten into it just this past year, and it's great; no fretting! And (I think) you mostly use your thumb and middle finger to slant the steel. With a pedal steel, as I understand it, you don't really even have to do slants if you don't want.

You might also be able to get into open tunings. If your guitar is setup right, you could do barres with the middle finger, or just do those open tuning 2-finger chords that you could probably do with middle and pinky, or middle and ring finger.

And then use one of those quick-change capos like the Kyser, to match each song.

Heck, if you're thinking about steel, you might just combine the open tunings with a slide and be an awesome slide-guitarist. With a country type band that might really fill up the sound--even doing chords.

Lots you can do without an index finger, but even if somehow you don't lose use of that finger, these are styles/ways of playing you should check out anyhow!

Best regards.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'm going to stop my whining about my pinky now.

I hope you get some good news about the index finger.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Bill,

Very sorry to hear about your dire situation. If everything else in your life will live and you won't notice not having the use of your index finger, then guitar playing should be a breeze.

I hope the outcome is better than it appears currently.

Keep in mind that the human body and mind can overcome even the roughest of situations and conquer. Good luck to you, sir.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I have a friend who played guitar for years and years. His day job was remodeling houses. One day he cut off half of his index finger on his fretting hand with a circular saw. I'm sorry to say that he doesn't play guitar anymore, BUT he DOES play bass and steel. He has turned into one of the best bass players I've ever heard! And he is in much demand as a steel player. Where there is a will, there is a way. You just have to figure out which way is best for you!

I hope you heal quickly. My thoughts are with you!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

sorry about the accident. I like the suggestions about playing slide.
hope all goes for the better soon.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Slide is terrific fun! Not as easy as it looks, but cool stuff. You've got to have a little different mindset to make it work.

Since June, my right (picking) index fingertip's been numb. Doesn't stop me, but aggravates the stew out of me. Helps to put on fingerpicks. Then I don't have feeling with any of my picking fingers, anyway! :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Sorry to hear about the accident and I hope that you feel better very soon. If you have the drive then I imagine you'll have no problem learning to play without it if you have too.

Rock on man.. I'd like to put you in my prayers if that is fine with you.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

So sorry to hear about your finger man. I hope you can keep playing the guitar, I couldn't imagine going cold turkey.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

You can do it. I just picked up my guitar and messed around with playing without my index. I think I could get used to it if I had to. I would have to simplify some of the chords, of course, but I'm sure you could make it work. The other option is to learn to play lefty. Once you got used to it you might even be very good because you can fret with your dominant hand.

My strumming hand was basically re-attached a couple of years ago after an accident. I have decent mobility, but I will never have the full speed or dexterity back. I make up for it with more hammers, pulls and vibs when I solo. I couldn't iagine not playing. If you're determined enough, you can make it work!

Keep at it and good luck!

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

First of all, very sorry to hear about your finger. Keep us posted please! I think you could learn to play with your remaining fingers, it would take some practice. Don't give up, that's for sure. I agree with the comments on slide, etc. but I would stick with regular guitar if that's your passion. I wouldn't switch hands, that might be more trouble than its worth in relation to adapting your current fret hand.

But hopefully things will turn out ok and it won't even be an issue!

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

It'd be awesome to be able to play guitar both left-handed and right-handed! Imagine what you could do with your stage show with that trick!

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Sorry to hear that, I hope it doesn't end up restricting you. Don't forget, this forum has many, many tales of beating doctor's odds with nothing more than pure determination and hard work.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Tune your guitar to either open G or D and play slide on your pinky. This is great for Country music.

Check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4IL-qLbdQY

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2