Clear all

Mind Lending a Song or 2?

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok ive been thinking, and have come to realize that if someone asked me to play a song I would not realy know what to play, bits and peices mostly. I know its a common problem (not finishing a full song before moving onto the next), however, I dont feel like I want to continue on what im working on right now.

I am posting cause I wanted someone to enlighten me, (not a big musical library) and would like some good songs that I have not found yet, or just forgot about.

Im accoustic and will play just about anything that sounds decent.

Im looking for a song that has a pleasant sound, not just strumming etc.

Going to college soon and dont wanna be carrying around my guitar with nothing to show for it!!!!

:evil:

Thanks for the future replies?! :wink: where are those replies, im waiting! :lol:

"We're officially on welfare. Come on, kids. Help me scatter garbage on the front lawn."

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hi Danada, and welcome to GN!

Have you tried looking in the Easy Songs Forum? Plenty to choose from there!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

If you want to impress in college try these:

Good Riddance (time of your life) - Greenday
**** her Gently - Tenacious D

Any song that starts with the line "This is a song for the Ladies" has got to be a winner.I started to play it live a few months ago and now its the most requested song.Weird thing is its the "Ladies" that request it!

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, I have looked at some of the songs on this site, scarborough fair, blackbird are nice.

And as for Tenacious D, they've got to be my favorite :D

Haha, **** her gently great song, I actualy have the cd and was practicing it a little while ago, but now im inspired to finish it :D

Is it a John Denver song? I think someone told me that when they heard me play it. Unless I just totaly made that up for some reason. Sorry rambling.

Thanks!

"We're officially on welfare. Come on, kids. Help me scatter garbage on the front lawn."

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

How about "The Friday Song" by Johnathan Edwards? It would sound cool if you could transpose the piano solo to guitar.
"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" That's a song, I'm not asking you.
Pick anything from Sublime.

ReplyQuote
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

:lol: thanks, sounds good :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@geek-in-the-pink)
Estimable Member

Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day is easy, at least the acoustic version. Strap a capo on the 1st fret, the verse is Em, G, D, A, and the chorus is C, G, D, Em. For strumming just do, Down, Down, Up. Was the first song I learned, good luck!! :D :D

ReplyQuote
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Dono if this post will get ne more attention but, Ill ask anyway, I would quote but I not sure how so "Boulevard of Broken Dreams...Strap a capo on the 1st fret, the verse is Em,G,D,A." I dont have a "capo" what would the chords be without it? or do i not want to know, and also is a capo just for conveniance instead of baring across with index across the first fret?

Thanks 8)

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Dono if this post will get ne more attention but, Ill ask anyway, I would quote but I not sure how so "Boulevard of Broken Dreams...Strap a capo on the 1st fret, the verse is Em,G,D,A." I dont have a "capo" what would the chords be without it? or do i not want to know, and also is a capo just for conveniance instead of baring across with index across the first fret?

Thanks 8)

You only need the capo if you want to play along with the album, otherwise, just play what's written.

However, a capo is a very useful tool for more than just changing the key. There are several lessons on this in here somewhere...

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

If you're playing along with the CD, Boulevard of Broken Dreams is:

Fm, Ab, Eb and Bb (verses)

Db5, Ab5, Eb5, F5 and C (chorus and instrumental break)

Putting a capo on the first fret allows you to play along with the CD while using easier first position chords in the verses:

Em, G, D and A

And also allows you to use first position chords instead of power chords in the chorus (although you could certainly use power chords as well):

C, G, D, Em and B

I teach my beginning students to use B7 instead of B.

If you're not worried about playing along with the recording, you can simply use the transposed chords (Em, G, D, etc.,). It will be lower sounding than the CD, but it will still sound perfectly fine.

As Dan mentions, there are articles about using capos here on Guitar Noise. Go to the "Guitar Columns" page and click on either The Underappreciated Art of Using A Capo (which gives you the basics) or Turning Notes Into Stone, which deals with transposing songs.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, wasnt exactly sure if a capo was a necacary tool, it sounded to me like it was just for conveniance. But I get the idea now!! :wink:

Thanks again,
Much appreciated. :)

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

first song i learned, and darned easy too, is Wonderwall by Oasis

Ryan Adams does a cool version too

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote