Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

More New Toys!

24 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Well I came home from work in a miserable mood because I had it out with a co-worker but now it feels a bit like Christmas even though it is 90 degrees here! Two of the three new toys I had coming arrived today. One I told you about the other I did not.

First is the 12 string: I paid $80 for the 12 string shipped so I didn't expect much. I took it out of the box and was surprized that there were only a few MINOR blemishes...I expected much more. Plus those blemishes are so petty to even mention. The set up was about as low as it could be with ABSOLUTLY NO fret buzz anywhere! The neck feels solid, almost like a tele neck. It does only have 20 frets but how many do you really need on a 12 string..LOL! Of course it was out of tune so I took quite a few minutes tuning it (I was so intimidated by all the strings!). I played a C chord and I was amazed at the tone even with the crappy factory strings (which will be replaced this weekend). I strummed a few other chords then began one of my favorite strumming patterns with some simple chord changes. I wasn't really used to a 12 string but surprisingly I played fairly cleanly. It is a laminated top but for a beginner 12 string that was only $80 I can't ask for more. I know someone more experienced with 12 strings could probably pick it apart but it's GREAT for me! I'll know if the tuners are good tomorrow when I see how it keeps tune. PLUS it even had TWO strap buttons! Thant really surprised me since most acoustics generally only come with the one end button. Here are some pictures:

The next present I received to day was a M-Audio Keystation 49e-49 Key USB MIDI Controller Keyboard! I got this for $70 dollars shipped! I bought this for future use plus to tinker around with learning the keyboard. I already had Band-In-A-Box software installed and this works fantastic with it! Plus I figured if I ever start writing music it would be a nice tool to have. It was sold "as is" but it came in the original box still wrapped and everything included. Not a scratch on it! Here is a picture:

Now I know I have only been playing for 11 months and probably don't deserve half the gear I have. But it's my way of staying excited about the guitar and music. It gives me options for the days I might be in a rut. We all need our motivations and this is one of mine.

The third toy should be here on Friday or Saturday so I won't spoil the surprize until then! This will be the last major guitar purchase made by me for a while. I think it should be enough to keep me occupied for some time!

Stay tuned!!

(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

You sure do have some nice toys.

I am developing a (un)healthy interest in 12 strings since coming on these forums. May have to give one a try out some time soon.

That Voodoo looks like a bargain for the money. Congrats and enjoy your new guitar.

Clips? :wink:

Looking forward to seeing what the postman brings on Friday. :lol:

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Congrats Mike! Nice gear, I've been thinking about getting a 12 String, but I decided against it time and time again. Maybe someday.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

congratulations AGAIN!

I have some nice gear that i'm quite happy with and quite frankly, it's probably much too good for me...my martin guitar (acoustic-electric) for example. so i'm always toying with the idea of buying super cheap toys of mostly "addtional" instruments but i don't know if i'd be happy or not with my purchases. for example a $69 mandolin at rondo music. is it a waste of the $69 to go that cheap to try out a mandolin and see if i like it? same with a super cheap acoustic bass, which I'd love to try out, or a super cheap 12 string. i just don't know and i'm always talking myself in and out of these things.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Mike, I'm so freakin jealous of you sometimes. LOL But its great seeing nice people getting fun toys so congrats. I really want a keyboard at the moment but I feel a little intimidated by it. Good luck with the toys. Cant wait to see what comes next.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

8) I hope you enjoy them! That's what it's all about.

I saw those keys (I think the same) in a store for $100. Nice pick up on that.

Alright, now tell the truth....... which one is the favorite and which one is the dust queen? That's the thing that sucks about having a few...... you would like to play them all at the same time! But can't :( .... so a choice has to be made.

Then again, you can have any sound you want in your hands in seconds. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Then again, you can have any sound you want in your hands in seconds. 8)

You nailed it right there! Sometimes my add kicks in and one minute I want acoustic the next full out distortion and the next some psychadelic phaser sounds! I just like having options. The keyboard is just a bonus to play with (matter of fact I just set the 12 string down to play with the keyboard!)

Geoo,

I appreciate the kid words. However the way my day went today I'll bet you can find several people where I work that would disagree with you that I am nice! What I am is BROKE!!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

However the way my day went today I'll bet you can find several people where I work that would disagree with you that I am nice! What I am is BROKE!!

Ah well, I heard someone say recently that "Just because people get mad at you, it doesnt mean that you arent RIGHT" and thats whats important. Enjoy the gear!!

GEoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Hey man, If you have too much stuff, You can ship me that danowah or something, I promise I won't complain.

No seriously, I want the danowah...

Congrats on the 12 man, I was thinking about getting another 6 string acoustic, but I might look at 12's. Everyone seems tickled to death with'em.

So, about my address, private message me, and I'll get yours so I can send you a check for shipping. Double box it for me.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Congrats Mike! 8)

You might want to start putting up some wall hangers for all your guitars so you can still walk around your place! :wink: :lol:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Congrats Mike! 8)

You might want to start putting up some wall hangers for all your guitars so you can still walk around your place! :wink: :lol:

Dan

Even though I said in a past post that I can't put a ton of holes in my walls I am seriously starting to consider it! Plus it will save on guitar stands! I may make something over the summer...maybe stain a piece of wood and put a line of hangers on there. That way there will only be 2-3 holes I'd have to put in my walls!

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Is there a moral here, Mike?

Like go pick on someone and then buy yourself a get well gift?

Hmmm, I'm sorta liking that theory, myself.

Nice toys, MR!!!!! :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 sean
(@sean)
Trusted Member

im new to all this so bear with me....i struggle to keep track of the six strings on my acoustic and my fingers sometimes still catch strings they shouldnt......i keep telling them to only hit certain ones but they dont listen,......anyway how do you play that has it got i wider neck to fit in the extra strings or do you have to have surgery to make your fingers smaller??
loving all the kit though congrats!!
id love to have gear like that !!!

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

Sean

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

im new to all this so bear with me....i struggle to keep track of the six strings on my acoustic and my fingers sometimes still catch strings they shouldnt......i keep telling them to only hit certain ones but they dont listen,......anyway how do you play that has it got i wider neck to fit in the extra strings or do you have to have surgery to make your fingers smaller??
loving all the kit though congrats!!
id love to have gear like that !!!

You actually play it like any other six string...the strings are close enough together that one finger frets 2 strings. The strings are paired and tuned one octave apart. So for the low E string is tuned normally and it's partner is tuned to E as well but one octave higher. The only exception is the High E and B strings...they are the exact same string and tuned the same. The neck isn't any wider but this one feels thicker almost like a baseball bat...similar to a telecaster. A very solid guitar!

ReplyQuote
 sean
(@sean)
Trusted Member

cool......so you treat two strings as one then? that must sound pretty cool...can you take some recordings of it? ive never heard one played does it sound vastly different?

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

Sean

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2