Clear all

My First Acoustic

35 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I got an acoustic guitar for Christmas. My first one too. It's fun to play around on. I have yet to see how it helps bring out mistakes though. If anything, it's harder to hear buzzing and muting strings without an amp making those things louder. On the plus side, it does cause me to practice more. You wouldn't think having to plug in the guitar and turn the amp on would be enough to keep you from playing but on those really lazy days....it does.

I kinda figured before I got it, I would work on open chords more. With distortion not an option, there was no reason not to use them but.........I like the sound of power chords too much now lol.

Thought I'd just share that with you all. On a side note, anyone know some acoustic rock or metal songs? So far the only ones I know are Nirvana - Polly, and Metallica - Nothing Else Matters. Or even bands with unplugged versions of their songs.

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Congrats! 8)

Add Nirvana (Meatpuppets original) Lake of Fire. Great song! The lead guitar is playing the G blues scale almost note for note for the most part. All in all, not a tough song to tackle.

Have fun!

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@notyetnirvana)
Trusted Member

Sorry to be offtopic :S

Just wanted to say when I was little I wrote a poem called "One-Winged Angel" (Referring to username) How weird! :)

"Me... In a Nuclear Power Plant?...... KABOOM! Hahahaha!" - Homer Simpson in Highschool.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Congrats OWA! :D Guitars are always a nice thing to get on Christmas. :wink: So, what kind is it? Do you have any pics? Have fun with your new addition. 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thought I'd just share that with you all. On a side note, anyone know some acoustic rock or metal songs? So far the only ones I know are Nirvana - Polly, and Metallica - Nothing Else Matters. Or even bands with unplugged versions of their songs.

Congrats on the acoustic...it is a must to have at least one acoustic in your guitar arsenal!

As for acoustic metal songs...Silent Lucidity (Queensryche), Patience (Guns-n-Roses), Every Rose Has It's Thorn & Something To Believe In (Poison), and Ice Cream Man (Van Halen) are a few I could think of at the momment. But as you said you could do the unplugged versions of almost ANY tune...I fooled around with Hells Bells by AC/DC on acoustic and it sounded cool. I tried it on a 12 string at the guitar store and it sounded SWEET!

ReplyQuote
(@evolution)
Estimable Member

Tribute by Tenacious D is a pretty good acoustic rock song. It's the best song in the world :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your suggestions all. I'll check some of them out. If I'm feeling ambitious I might try an unplugged version of a song.
Congrats OWA! Very Happy Guitars are always a nice thing to get on Christmas. Wink So, what kind is it? Do you have any pics? Have fun with your new addition. Cool

It's an off brand. It's a cutaway with steel strings. I'm having fun fooling around with it.

I like the electric more but notice the acoustic doesn't buzz as much. Is that because I need to check the action/neck relief of the electric or are electrics just more picky about finger placement?

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Everything Burns - Ben Moody Thats a good song
Hero - Spiderman soundtrack

A favourite of mine and easy too is "Put Your Lights On" Santana/Everclear That dude voice sounds great for that song.

And best of all... Mama Said - Metallica, i love that song.

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

check out eh cd, curtains, but john frusciante of the red hot chili peppers. all of the songs are acoustic and some are pretty easy to play.

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

check out eh cd, curtains, but john frusciante of the red hot chili peppers. all of the songs are acoustic and some are pretty easy to play.

You can actually download that album unproduced from Johns website.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

Congrats! I think you'll find that it'll improve your technique all around, and it'll also build up your hand strength to the point that you have to learn to be a lot more gentle with your electric. :)
Tribute by Tenacious D is a pretty good acoustic rock song. It's the best song in the world :wink:
Actually...
This is not The Greatest Song in the World, oh no.
This is just a tribute.
Couldn't remember The Greatest Song in the World, yea,
no!
This is a tribute, oh,
to The Greatest Song in the World,
All right!
It was The Greatest Song in the World,
All right!

:lol:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Congrats! I think you'll find that it'll improve your technique all around, and it'll also build up your hand strength to the point that you have to learn to be a lot more gentle with your electric. Smile

Actually I think the string gauge of my acoustic and electric are the same. I think the width of the necks are the same too. Is that bad?

ReplyQuote
(@evolution)
Estimable Member

Actually I think the string gauge of my acoustic and electric are the same. I think the width of the necks are the same too. Is that bad?

Thats kinda of wierd. What gauge of strings do you have on your electric? On an acoustic they are usually .012 and on an electric are either .009 or .010.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I have 0.010's on my electric. The strings on the acoustic look to be the same, and don't really need any extra pressure to fret. Unless the difference is really subtle.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Congrats! I find myself sitting in front of the TV with mine playing and watching at the same time. Certainly allows me more practice time without bugging the fiancee too much. Plus, some things just sound better on an acoustic. Enjoy it!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3