Notifications
Clear all

My First Acoustic

35 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

I myself got an seagul s6+ cutaway this christmas and it was my first acoustic (it's an acoustic electric). As for songs, I know a few you may want to try out

HIM-you are the one
Zakk Wylde- Stillborn(this one gets hard in the middle but you should be able to at least play parts of it)
System of a down- question
System of a down- roulette
A perfect Circle-orestes (acoustic version)
Staind- outside
Foo Fighters- times like these (acoustic. I figured the nirvana connection may interest you.)
Soundgarden-Just like suicide.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I like the electric more but notice the acoustic doesn't buzz as much. Is that because I need to check the action/neck relief of the electric or are electrics just more picky about finger placement?

Nils has a great site for this. It's got a lot of good information on it.

Oh, and congrats on your guitar.

As far as rock accoustic, if you want to dive back into the 70s and 80s, I'll have a few good suggestions.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

Who was the guitar made by...? Taylor, fender...

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the suggestions.

It's an off brand called Nova. Pretty good for the money. And it stays in tune longer than my electric *shakes fist at tremolo bridge* Though I think they gave me the wrong manual, unless my acoustic guitar has 3 single coil pickups and a tremolo bridge..........

And I'll check out the 70's and 80's. I wasn't really around for them, but I might know some or check out some songs from those eras.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

OWA, I fixed the staying in tune problem with my strat. I took off the whammy arm. :lol:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

OK, then here goes.

Bon Jovi - Dead Or Alive
Bob Seeger - Against The Wind
Pink Floyd - Mother and Wish You Were Here
John Mellancouger - Pink Houses

In general, you can do some impressive things by looking at any of these band's accoustical stuff: Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin, Bob Seger, 'Floyd, Lynyrd skynyrd, Allman Brothers Band and Neil Young

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Godsmack put out an acoustic CD as well called The Other Side (excellent BTW). I've seen the tab book at some local music stores so I bet you could find it (or try the net). Bands like Incubus have done some great acoustic stuff as well. So there are some modern "heavy" bands that you might be in to that have acoustic songs you might be interested in learning.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

One very slight modification to rparker's list:

Bob Seger - anything

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

owa's avatar changes like bush's speeches :lol:

Q- where do you get em from ?

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

I got the John Lennon - Acoustic CD for Christmas
and recomend it highly. It even comes with lyrics
and chords so it's easy to play along.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

owa's avatar changes like bush's speeches :lol:

Q- where do you get em from ?

I made my avatar picture, actually, I'm still working on it.

I completely forgot about Bon Jovi and Skynyrd. I heard the radio mention Godsmack's acoustic CD, might have to check that out too.

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

OWA, I fixed the staying in tune problem with my strat. I took off the whammy arm. :lol:

I did the same :D :D

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

How do I take it off? The whammy arm that is.

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

Just saw the 'got my first acoustic guitar' title and then saw it was the OWA. Then I clicked on the topic, then I saw the new picture for the nongingerspicy OWA. Some days are like that, all your preconceptions brought crashing down. I thought everyone started acoustic then went electric. Anyways, congratulations and hope you are having as much fun with your new acoustic as I am with my new electric. I still work more with my acoustic than the electric and I would think you are still spending most of your time with your electric. I guess it's a matter of what you first get used to.

And of course I still enjoy the picture changing, it gives the viewer pause when they want to settle into a particular image of a person when of course we are all changing all the time. I look forward to the next image change. I'm rather content with my Johnny Cash, burning ring of fire/rob zombie version of me for the moment. 8)

Enjoy your karma, after all you earned it.
http://www.gadlaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

I don't think an acoustic would have a whammy arm

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3