Notifications
Clear all

My First Open Mic!!!!

41 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Are there still tickets available for Willie Nelson's 4th of July picnic? That's one hell of a line-up!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

According to their website, I do believe that there are tickets..... they're $40 if you buy them in advance and $45 at the gate.

Here's the entire schedule:

Opens at 11:00
11:30a.m - The Troubadillos - North Stage
11:50 - Heather Myles - South Stage
12:10 - James Hand - North
12:30 - The Geezinslaws - South
12:50 - Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers - North
1:10 - Marty Dread and the Los Maui Boys -South
1:35 - Randy Rogers BAnd - North
1:55 - Pauline Reese - South
2:15 - Janie Fricke - North
2:35 - Paula Nelson-Hines - South
2:55 - Bob Wills Texas Playboys - North
3:15 - Johnny Bush - South
3:35 - Django Walker - North
3:55 - Freddy Powers and Bill McDavid - South
4:15 - Jessi Colter - North
4:35 - Leon Russell - South
4:55 - Cross Canadian Ragweed - North
5:25 - Asleep At The Wheel - South
5:45 - Ray Price - North
6:05 - Jason Boland and the Stragglers - South
6:25 - Lost Trailers - North
6:45 - The Doobie Brothers - South
7:30 - Ray Wylie Hubbard - North
7:55 - Los Lonely Boys - South
8:40 - Billy Joe Shaver - North
9:05 - Bob Dylan - South
10:05 - David Allen Coe - North
10:30 - Willie Nelson and Family - South

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Vic, congrats on the open mic :)

Pet, any camera make most women look fat. Beleive me I have taken a few and a wide angle lense is not forgiving. My wife hates photo cause of that as do my sisters.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

Dave Coe? Jessi Colter? Willie Nelson? sounds like a party

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Willie's picnic sounds great, but after my first open mic I WANT MORE!!!!
Next open mic is next monday.....

Decisions, decisions, decisions!!!!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Hey!!!! Where's the video clips???!?!? :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Vic

Yeah baby, yeah!! (that's my Austin Powers imitation)

You are addicted now.

I am so glad that you got out there. See, that wasn't so bad. :D

That is a great pic of you. It is also nice to see who Marvelous Optimist is.

Pet- Hey, you look pretty hot to me! 8)

You know it's funny, I was driving into work this week listening to the radio. This DJ gives out all sorts of different advice each morning. This week he talked about going on vacation and taking great vacation pics. He mentioned things like the best time to take pics is 30 minutes before sunset, making sure the sun in behind you, etc....

But another interesting thing he said is never wear black. He said while wearing black makes a person look thinner to the eye, it has the complete opposite effect on film. He said it creates a large void of color. This void will actually make you look heavier than you are.

So, it was the black. But I still think you look pretty hot! :wink:

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Got to agree Wes, Pet is a drop dead Knock out Optimist is a lucky man

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

i definatly gotta agree with Wes and Tele. Pet is quite the catch eh? Mr. Optimist has a reason to be Optimistic

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I taught pet everything she knows about eyeliner.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ah, Nick, but did you teach her everything YOU know?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Congratulations Mr. Lewis!!!

I've put myself “out” in front of others and have had good and “so so” results. Good to those who don't know, and “so so” results that do know.

I am still working on polishing my songs (year and a half pickin'), original's and covers, but, I was pressured because my friends say I “was” good enough (I buckle under pressure in regards to guitar)

I've learned pressure will “make or break you”! I'm not broken by far but, I've since learned about listening to others. I still need some time.

I'm really happy to hear your gig went well. I can wait till I have that type of high!

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Hi you'all over in Texas,

Guess what! I just did my first open mike too. Vic, remember that party I mentioned last week at my sister's house. Well what a night. I took my trusty acoustic over there never really thinking that I would get up and have a go. Na! I kept saying to myself your just kidding yourself!

They had a couple of friends playing electro acoustics through my brother in-law's mega p.a. system in the back garden. They were brilliant doing all the classics, starting with of course, "Bad Moon Rising" The sun came out, the beer flowed. Brother in Law James brought out more mikes and everyone took a turn at singing harmonys to their songs.

Right at the end of the set just as it was getting dark I half heartedly mentioned that I'd brought my instrument and wouldn't mind having a go. Get it out the cried! I couldn't beleive it. James miked up my guitar, did a few sound checks

Well I did one number, "Hotel California" Mattguitar's easy capoed version, with one of the guy's giving support on his guitar and vocals. I was a bit shaky to start but halfway through the song it just clicked the nerves went and the whole bunch of people at the party loved it.

You just cant get over the buzz when you hear your first chord come over a pa system, its just wow! The one thing I found was that good players are so encouraging to strugglers like me.

Family, friends and good homemade music, the bread of life!

Cheers all and good luck Vic on Monday night.

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Wow! This is great! I'm gonna have my first Open Mic today at 2:00! :D

This is gonna be so cool!

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Great stuff Chris!!!

Yeah, it really is a buzz when you hear yourself playing for the first time! Now we've broken the ice - so to speak - it should be much easier next time!!! Congrats again....and keep practising those barres!!!

Yoyo....it might be your first open mic, but you're already a veteran performer after last week! :D Have a good one mate!!!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

hmmm.....doesn't look like we're going to make it to the Fallout Lounge tomorrow....looks like we're meeting Elecktrablue at Willie's 4th of July picnic....

And we get to see the Doobies and Dylan and The man hisself...Willie!!!!

Pics will be forthcoming, I promise......

Hmm...so us brits are going to celebrate Independence Day, the anniversary of you kicking us out of America....should I wear my "England" t-shirt? Or is that a red rag to a bull? Aww what the heck...I'll wear it anyway....we'll get the sympathy vote....

Vic

(Now if we could just get Wes Inman and Twisted Fingers down here, not to mention all the other American friends I've made on these forums....it'd be PERFECT!!!!)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3