Clear all

My New 12 String

23 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Picked up a Takamine 12 string the other day.
Its a EG523SC. I tried a Martin, Ovation and a Taylor and this one had the best tone to it. Got a great deal on it too!

Haven't taken any photos of it yet, but here's the stock image. Will post my own when I get around to taking some pics.

Hmmm.....now, about that Strat I've had my eye on.....

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Beauty; I know that one sounds great too.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Good choice, i have both the EG523SC and the EG523SC-12 as well.
they are fantastic values. Congrats!

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Lovely guitar! There's something really great about playing a 12-string! I only have an electric 12'er and have been gassing for an acoustic one for quite a while now! Thanks for adding to my GAS! :?

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Lovely guitar! There's something really great about playing a 12-string! I only have an electric 12'er and have been gassing for an acoustic one for quite a while now! Thanks for adding to my GAS! :?

Thanks all. Yes, it's a great sounding guitar. Since I've not owned one till now, I'm really enjoying the sound of a 12 str.
Elecktra, glad I can help. Just let me add that since I've picked this up, I am so very happy. It's as if my life has somehow been enhanced 10 fold. If only everyone could experience this. Just think about it...you and a new 12. Hmmm... :P

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

Thanks all. Yes, it's a great sounding guitar. Since I've not owned one till now, I'm really enjoying the sound of a 12 str.
Elecktra, glad I can help. Just let me add that since I've picked this up, I am so very happy. It's as if my life has somehow been enhanced 10 fold. If only everyone could experience this. Just think about it...you and a new 12. Hmmm... :P

A 12 string Seagull "followed me home" last week and had the 3 day weekend to start appreciating it. (my callouses sure show it!) The sustain of this thing astonishes me.

My life hasn't been enhanced 10 fold (wrong brand perhaps?) but I feel like I've started a completely new chapter in my guitar adventures. The sounds are awesome and the physical techniques to be learned or modified are a challenge.
My repertoire has to be reviewed against the 12er to see if a particular piece is better on the 12, will need work to be doable on the 12 or shouldn't be done again because the result was too ugly.

It seems that the 12 is driving me toward using a flat pick on many songs where I could do it thumb and fingerpick on 6 string. Metal fingerpicks aren't yet acceptable. Don't know if they ever will be, my accuracy needs improvement.

Hotel California became fabulous.
I just noodled onto Annie's Song and all of a sudden it sounded like my guitar skill jumped 10-fold :-)

Great stuff!
Maybe we need a new thread to discuss 12 string discoveries, techniques and tips?

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
(@shadowraptor)
Trusted Member

Awesome!

I have a Takamini EG345 12-string that sounds excellent plugged in or not. I have been looking seriously (GAS) at the 10 string Janet Marlow Entry Model from Michael McBroom ( http://www.tenstringguitar.com/instrumentstobuy.html ), but he can only ship via UPS at the current time (UPS hoses us Canadians on what they call Customs clearing fees as opposed to USPS where there is a flat fee of $8.00 for clearing regardless of the value).

Down the road, after I win the Lottery (!), my next instrument will be a Harp Guitar with 22 strings ...

Have a safe and pleasant day.

Rob
Canada

Yamaha FG-730S
Crafter GAE45/N
Beaver Creek BCR8501
Yamaha CG-? (91)
Yamaha CG-171SF
Framus Texan 5/296 12-String
Takamini EG-345C 12-String
Indiana IN-BM5 Mandolin
M-Audio Oxygen 49 Keyboard

ReplyQuote
(@shadowraptor)
Trusted Member

"Maybe we need a new thread to discuss 12 string discoveries, techniques and tips?"

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do fingerstyle or play the blues on a 12-string - these instruments are like a complete orchestra all in one!

Have a safe and pleasant day.

Rob
Canada

Yamaha FG-730S
Crafter GAE45/N
Beaver Creek BCR8501
Yamaha CG-? (91)
Yamaha CG-171SF
Framus Texan 5/296 12-String
Takamini EG-345C 12-String
Indiana IN-BM5 Mandolin
M-Audio Oxygen 49 Keyboard

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Nice!!!! I tinkered with some before I bought my latest toy. 12-string is next on the list. I love the sound of 'em.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nice guitar Blueline! 8)

I'll wait for the pics! ;)

And the sounds too! :evil:

:D

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Nice guitar Blueline! 8)

I'll wait for the pics! ;)

And the sounds too! :evil:

:D
+1
+1
+1

Grats on the new GIT!! :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

thanks again all.

I can't believe the amount of sound that comes out of this guitar. I mean, yes, it's obvious- 12 strings= lotsa sound but its almost as if you have to hold back when strumming some chords. In that respect, I guess its like an electric. You have to control the sound.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Very nice. I have not had any serious GAS for quite some time, but I've been playing my acoustic more lately, and somehow this 12-string discussion is tickling my interest :-)

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Nice looking guitar. You'll have to post some sound clips. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Lovely looking guitar, Blueline. If I ever buy another acoustic it'll be a Takamine.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2