Notifications
Clear all

Need your opinions on Strats

58 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I never agonized over my Strat. I went into GC one day, played every MIM Strat I could get my hands on, absolutely ruled out any that sounded dead when unplugged, filtered out badly wired ones after plugging in, then settled on mine. I waited about a week before buying, I had the guy hold onto it for me.

Color was mostly irrelevant, and would not be my deciding factor, but I am glad to have found a good one in midnight wine.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@modestcargo)
Eminent Member

I still say build one with Warmoth parts.

If not though, in the MIM range check out the Jimmie Vaughan model, it's very nice.

If you wanna go MIA, check out the Eric Johnson...

I'm not usually one for signature models but I've played both of these and I can say the Jimmie was the best new MIM I'd played and the EJ actually felt *good* to me - and I personally don't like the feel of new Fender guitars.

Epiphone Black Beauty Les Paul 3-pickup (Hawk)
Marshall DSL401 run on clean channel

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Here's another one of those questions that I should know the answer to. I see this everywhere and just kind of brush over it.

What is MIM? Further, what is MIA except where I'll be after this.

Sorry to be uninformed.

As far as building a guitar. I have a hard time brushing my tooth let alone sanding wood or painting it or probably luthiering of any sort. I wouldn't trust myself with a project like that. Good suggestion tho. May ponder that one more.

Thanks for the posts, guys.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

MIA= made in America
MIM= Made in Mexico

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

MIM = Made In Mexico

MIA = Made In America

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, man....err both of you....lol. One was there when I went to post and when I got done there were two....Love this place. (edited after posting)

I had no idea what those letters stood for. My 2 year old granddaughter probably knows this and she is just learning to say guitar. :oops:

Bish

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Mine must have taken a minute longer because I used more spaces. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Mine must have taken a minute longer because I used more spaces. :lol: :roll: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I have my eyeball on the american deluxe. I may pull the trigger any minute!

The way I look at it and since I have taken apart and rebuilt 2 guitars already...if you buy a 300 to 500 dollar that everyone is changing pickups on and then you go for tuners for the heck of it and a custom pickguard, etc., etc. By the time you are done you could have gotten the better guitar for not much more. This last guitar was older and well played and the fret bars were shot. I priced a re-fret and instead found myself just buying another neck, aftermarket, real nice job of copying but I need to hand file the ends of the fret wire to finish it off.

This doesn't mean all 500 dollar guitars need the upgrading. I have a 300 dollar Samick Avion 3 that is awesome and I will never change a thing on it. Seems to be the lower end and knock-off strats and Jackson Dinky's that everyone is taking apart.

Next time I am starting where I want to wind up. I love the aged cherry burst deluxe with the maple fretboard for $1,200. But I may downgrade that to an American at $900, same guitar not as dressy and alder instead of ash. 8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I can't attribute what it is about this particular model but it just fits. I'm very comfortable playing it. It makes me sound better meaning some things like pull offs that sound ok on my other guitar sound smooth and comfy on this fretboard. I've tried all of the ones at my local shop. He had 30 different models that included Squier, and Tele's of both brands. (Not to plug the dealer but he had most every Ibanez, ESP, PRS, Yamaha of the electrics and the Accoustic room would blow you away. They are rather large and have the corner lot on the busiest intersection in the region. Prime real estate as they say. Anyone in the midwest may have heard of it. Griggs Music. )

Of the Strats, I played anything with a different neck and series (Fender or Squier). MIM-MIA (now that I know what that means :wink: ).

I narrowed it down to the maple and then the smooth over the satin. Zeroing in so to speak. Well for the dough the Deluxe was the logical choice, not considering budget. Considering budget, I'm a nut. :twisted: But truly, dollar for feature, advantage, benefit, I found the Deluxe was the best value from anything $500 up to $1500. I'd set my limit at $1000. So for $950 I get an American. For $150 more I get a Deluxe. I thought it was worth the extra. I'll let you know in 20 years. :lol:

Thanks again and I learned something new again today. I'm eternally grateful!

Bish

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I never agonized over my Strat. I went into GC one day, played every MIM Strat I could get my hands on, absolutely ruled out any that sounded dead when unplugged, filtered out badly wired ones after plugging in, then settled on mine. I waited about a week before buying, I had the guy hold onto it for me.

Color was mostly irrelevant, and would not be my deciding factor, but I am glad to have found a good one in midnight wine.

I don't supposed you'd believe I really like your guitar. Not that I'm in to red guitars or anything.

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Ok, I read through the thread (kinda), you decided on a Deluxe or you have in your posession a Deluxe?

Either way, we want pics. :)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ask and Ye shall receive.

To clarify...

I am in possession of a shelf model to try out with my gear. Plus, I get to play it at will and in the comfort of my home. Here's the one I got from the store on loan.

Yesterday I ordered this style but with the maple fretboard.

I suspect it should arrive in town late next week so I should have it by next weekend. Barring any imperfections, I'll have one, apparently. :)

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Very cool indeed! As has been requested my none other than yourself in the Swap Meet thread, we want a review once you get that fine instrument! Even better, some clips!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Very cool indeed! As has been requested my none other than yourself in the Swap Meet thread, we want a review once you get that fine instrument! Even better, some clips!

Jason

Can do once I hire someone to play it and do it justice.

I'll be there shortly...maybe 2008 or so.... :lol:

Actually if you want to here it, I played it on the On line Jam. My part was last, starting at about minute 2:40 I believe. Everybody who participated did great. Check this out if you haven't already.

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=21050

Bish

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4