Clear all

New Multi-FX score

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've been searching for a particular multi-fx unit - the Yamaha Magic Stomp. As most of you will aready know, I tend to play instumentals, mostly out of the 60's asnd 70's.

There is someone (Charlie Hall) who worked together with Hank Marvin to produce a library of effects to get, as close as possible, to the original sounds. Why not just use the original gear? Unless you have a deep pocket and some really talented engineers, you may find keeping 6 or 7 60's units working is very difficult, if not expensive. So, until he changed over to a very expensive Australian echo (TVS3) he played through a Quadroverb with Charlie Hall's patches (marketed as Echoes From The Past).

These patches are only available for a few fx units, the best being the Quadroverb - with the Magic Stomp second.

I've been trawling FleaBay for weeks, waiting for one to slip through the net, but they've all been going for around 140-150 Euros, without the EFTP patches.

About a fortnight ago, I saw one in the window of our local guitar shop - no price tag and he has a history of being at the top end of pricing, so I wasn't so confident.

I went a few times to the shop, but never managed to find it open - until yesterday. So, in I went, expecting to hear something ridiculous like "200 Euros". When I asked to have a look, the owner got it out of the shop window and showed me everything that came with it - everything was there, original and in "as new" condition - including a Yamaha carrying case, something that I've never seen before. I was getting nervous about how much this might cost me.

The owner went to his secret book, muttering that it was a commission sale - and I nearly fell over when he said "60 Euros". Sold!

I've found a library of 60's patches and experimenting like mad.

I can tell you, I'm really chuffed.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Do share the patches.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Here you go:

http://www.echotapper.nl/stomp_jpatch/index.html

There is a list of patches and which tunes they refer to. If you want the backing tracks, the UB Hank ones can be bought from http://www.mustang-music.com/ub2.shtml .

Enjoy.

Edit:

I have 2 other libraries, if you're interested, one being 60's Strat sounds.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats! That sounds like a really great score. For less than half the money you thought you'd spend? Gotta love it. 8) 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Gotta love a deal! Oh ..... and a gear purchase.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The Stomp appears to be very little used - no scratches, scuff or dings. The USB cable hadn't even been taken out of its original wire wrap holders.

I've added the Echostopper library - excellent. Implementations of 60's and 70's echo units - Meazzi, Binson, etc.

The only thing missing is a proper patch list - and I'm working on that.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote