Notifications
Clear all

Number of Frets

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@ray07101)
Topic starter  

I have purchased a Yamaha guitar and it really only has (I think) 19 frets. I keep seeing reference for a larger number of frets on the neck and make it that is because it would be a bigger guitar. Mine is just the right size for me. Do I have any problems with a small guitar/neck?

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

19 frets is considered the standard range of the guitar - all guitars will have at least 19 frets, so a composer writing for the guitar will usually stay within that limit.

Many electric guitars have more - 20, 21, 22, 24... I've even seen 27 on some custom guitars.

If a song used frets 20 or higher, you won't be able to duplicate the notes on yours. Don't let that stop you - you can still get close by bending notes, artificial harmonics, or other tricks.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Don't let the number of frets fool you. it has nothing to do with size.
Guitars of different scale or size will have the same number of frets but on shorter necks the frets are just closer together.

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Weird, obviously I've seen a bazillion guitars and I've never seen an electric with less than 21 frets unless its a concept type model like a double neck or special artistic series.

ReplyQuote
(@ray07101)
Topic starter  

You are correct. It does have 21 frets, but they are down over the body of the guitar and I guess I was not counting them. Everything is ok. Guitar sounds fantastic and plays very well. Just wanted to ease my mind.

ReplyQuote