Clear all

Nylon strings

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have an old Arita acoustic I bought from a friend many years ago. It's still playable and sounds decent. Nothing like my new Seagull SWS Maritime, though.

Could I put nylon strings on the old acoustic, and why would I want to? Is it a different sound? A lot of difference? Does the guitar need to be retrofit?

I guess I'm just asking all about nylon strings.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

(@lue42)
Reputable Member

From what I understand, you will not get much volume off of an acoustic with nylon strings.

You can always try to sell your old acoustic and buy a cheap classical... or try to trade it. You can try an online site suck as Craigslist or Kijiji.

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

From what I understand, you will not get much volume off of an acoustic with nylon strings.

Ah, is that right? I never knew what nylon strings were for except for classical, if that's the only reason. But I know Bobbie Gentry used nylon strings for Ode to Billie Joe. The guitar isn't worth anything, I already asked about a trade-up. I would just donate it to some kids group, maybe a police youth group.

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

Donating it to a good cause would be a nice thing to do.

If you are just looking for a different sound, and feel... spend a couple of bucks and put a set of "Silk and Steel" strings on it. They are still steel and are meant for "acoustic" guitars rather than acoustic... but they are very "soft" and sound deeper/folkier.

Keep it around... everyone needs a guitar to take in the back yard or to picnics/camping that you "don't care about".

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Donating it to a good cause would be a nice thing to do.

The police in my town have been very helpful to us. I also titled over my old '89 Jeep Wrangler to a local cop. He wanted to give me the money for a duplicate title (original was lost), but I told him to use the money, it was only $25, for their youth group.
If you are just looking for a different sound, and feel... spend a couple of bucks and put a set of "Silk and Steel" strings on it. They are still steel and are meant for "acoustic" guitars rather than acoustic... but they are very "soft" and sound deeper/folkier.

Nah, Iwas just curious what the difference was.
Keep it around... everyone needs a guitar to take in the back yard or to picnics/camping that you "don't care about".

That thought is crossing my mind.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you have nothing to lose by putting on a set of nylons. the sound will be different.
I think there is quality in however it will sound. it may inspire you.
go for it.
as for donating. I am all for it. I have given away a couple guitars via internet forums.
a great feeling.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm definitely going to donate the 12 string. I'm going to remove the 2nd e string that is twanging like a sitar. I'll retune the geetar and then offer it as is, for some kid who maybe wants to start fidoodling around with guitar. I don't think the 12 string is worth my time or money to rehabilitate. It's 20+ years old, and a low end Gibson Epiphone. I have a brand new Seagull 6 string, so it may be time to pass on the old 6 string too, to someone who wants to start guitar.

ReplyQuote