Clear all

Ok to busk?

34 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@saxo6967)
Topic starter  

hey,

is it legal to busk on the streets for cash?
i would like to give it ago.

ps.... i live in Scotland.....
(yes thats that little funny shaped country above England.) ;D ;)

Cheers

- Paul

(@alangreen)

Hiya,

Some elements of Scottish Law are different to English, but I think you'll find that Buskers are included in the same legislation as beggars.

Technically, it's not legal unless you have a licence from the local authority; but I doubt if anyone from the local authority would know what that licence looked like or be able to find one.

At the end of the day, if you're not offending the locals with offensive lyrics, and your playing is of a reasonable standard then you're only likely to get moved on by the boys in blue if you're causing an obstruction.

Don't expect cash to just flow into your baseball cap though - it's hard work.

Best,

Alan

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@saxo6967)
Topic starter  

Mabey if i leave a little " Lessons Wanted " sign i might get some cash out of simpathy. lol :-[

Cheers

- Paul

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Busk Busk away. Just make sure you give all the ladies a nice wink and the gun motion with your hand while they pass by. If by any chance they're walking their dog, tell them they have a cute dog, they'll then reply thank you, then you say the owner's pretty cute herself. They'll probably most likely smile and say thank you and give you a nice shiny quarter.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

and if she actually does look good you can then ask if she's bussy this evening  ;D

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Now that's the true power of music. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@callal)

Hi Paul,

Just you go right ahead and busk to your hearts content!!  You never know who hears you.  Here in Croatia I know of one chap who busked his heart out for 10 years, in the end it was well worth it.  Besides, The Kelly Family did exactly the same, need I say more....

p.s. how did you upload your photo ?!? ???

ReplyQuote
(@jysailor)

callal,

Put a picture out on a web sight somewhere, then put the address (URL) of the picture into your profile.

Paul, I say go ahead and busk.  I did not know what busking was till I saw the signs in the London Tubes and asked about it.  But I have heard some really good players there over the years, and the acoustics of tiled tunnels are interesting :)

Cheers,
Travis

ReplyQuote
(@lixuzstatic)

What kind of music would you play when busking?

Lixuz :)

ReplyQuote
 Gump
(@gump)
Trusted Member

Some elements of Scottish Law are different to English, but I think you'll find that Buskers are included in the same legislation as beggars.

How are the laws in the US?
My guess would be it varies by city / state, I'm thinking about busking in Seattle.
As to whether anti-busking laws are actually enforced, that's another matter...

ReplyQuote
(@mhxanhma)
Eminent Member

Hiya,
Technically, it's not legal unless you have a licence from the local authority; but I doubt if anyone from the local authority would know what that licence looked like or be able to find one.

Is it truly illegal to busk??? Why??? Does it bother anyone? What if the person who busks needs the money?
Is it also illegal to beg for money? I don't get it. If a person needs the money, how are they going to live if it is illegal?

cheers

Johann Sebastian Bass

ReplyQuote
(@p_allen)
Estimable Member

You can busk without a licence if you raising money for charity or for your education. But in some towns and cities (Bath, UK) they encourage street performers, including musos, as it is part of the history and culture.

Get busking.

Pete. :)

P.S. As for your begging question, well it's always been the same, society looks after those who can look after themselves and neglects those who can't. After all how many people do see look a beggar in the eye, answer: none because they feel guilty but are too vain to do something about it. Sorry about that liitle speech, but it is all true.

Why Do Other Peoples Shipbuilding When you Could Go Diving For Pearls Of Your Own?

ReplyQuote
(@mhxanhma)
Eminent Member

I think George Orwell was a prophet.

Johann Sebastian Bass

ReplyQuote
(@samer_sultan)
Eminent Member

I think George Orwell was a prophet.

I aggre.
Society is turning into (for the most part already is) like the book 1984

Never turn your back on friends.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I never knew what busking was.  I have to say I respect anyone who pulls out that acoustic in the cold/hot city streets where people can be pretty mean.  And, gee, the power of music to swoon a gal.  Now that's gotta be a neat side benefit to the joy of geeetar!

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3