Painful GAS: Nomad Telecaster

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I shouldn't go into music stores, but there are three good ones within walking distance, so it happens now & then. I went into one on Monday & fell in love. The instrument is a Nomad, apparently a short-lived Chinese make. It's a sparkly baby-blue with amber gloss bird's-eye maple neck/fretboard. The neck was described somewhere online as a "vintage round C" shape, and I love it. Sounds good acoustically. Today I A/B'd it plugged in (Roland Cube 60 on the "Roland clean" channel) with a late-'90s American Tele & preferred the Chinese one. Price on the tag is $189, which I do not have.

The neck is the thing. I've wanted a beater Tele for some time, mostly to try my Kalamazoo's Melody Maker neck pup in the Tele neck position, but with beaters you get the neck you get. This fatty is the neck I want. The heel is rounded like a Strat neck, not squared like a Tele neck, & the dots are in different places... but it's dead straight, and it plays like butter.

I'm concerned about non-spec hardware. The bridge HAS to go, and God knows what the electronics are. Pickups appear to be Fender spec in size. Other Teles will point at the neck-heel & laugh.... I'm also concerned about getting into a disastrous trade deal. I have a nice little fake Strat which is dead quiet, because I spent about two weeks shielding it, and a vintage drum machine that could bring $200-plus on eBay... and a '60s National tube amp, Champ-style... and some nice vintage pedals... and I still have some plasma left in my blood....

Not sure if I'm looking for advice or just a shoulder to cry on. Anybody know anything about Nomad guitars? These are not the Fernandes Nomads. These were distributed by White Bridge Music, defunct as of last year. Anybody know how to get a guitar obsession out of your mind? I'm having embarrassing physical responses to thoughts of the instrument. I'm dreaming about it. Please help. Send money.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Not sure if I'm looking for advice or just a shoulder to cry on.
:)

I never heard about Nomad guitars but if it has the tone you are looking for... I'll keep the guitars, amps and pedals. The vintage drum machine is the weakest part. You always can get a new drum machine with new and vintage sounds or use software.

You could also wait for some days and... perhaps you forget it. But if the guitar continues in your mind...

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Some discussion re. hardware on them here, Crow:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/171614-new-tele-option-budget-thinline.html

Plenty of pix, too!
Thread starts re. the Thinline model but then broadens out to the standard Teles as well.
Sounds like they were also marketed as Belair Teles, so that might be something else to google.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The red wine guitar looks pretty cool...

(Well done, Boxboy, I was also searching in that forum but I didn't find any comment.)

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Boxboy! I may try to get in touch with one of those Thinline owners.

Took my spouse to the music store this afternoon & introduced her to the guitar. It's getting serious. The shop has two of them, so I don't feel the need to rush into anything. May try to sell the drum machine on eBay, which I've never done before.

It has been a long time since I've had it this bad for a guitar.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

So the good news ...... it's inexpensive. The bad news is you don't have the cash. It sounds like it would be a good guitar to tweak to your liking.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

That's it exactly. This combination of price AND sound AND neck (and looks) is just irresistable, but I can't drop the hammer.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

GAS can be painful. I wish you the best.

Curious about one comment as it relates to something I've been thinking of doing to at least one cheapo beater of mine. Why do you say that the bridge "HAS" to go?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'm not familiar with Tele bridge styles, but the strings mash right up into the screw/spring mechanism. I figured that can't be right... but looking at Tele bridge pics here & there, maybe it is.

Some of it is the standing assumption: Cheap guitar, cheap hardware. It might be fine.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've got one of those bridges as well. It does make ya wonder. I just make sure they are level. I've never seen them touch the screws. I think it's supposed to be sort of a classic design. I just wonder how much - if at all - the cheaper component like that affects tone. I swear that I can hear it sometimes. :?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I think my Squire Tele I used to have did that. It didn't cause any issues though. I just found myself missing that one speaking of gas til I remembered what I traded it in for. (Epiphone Honeyburst Les Paul)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Don't fear the bridge. I don't know if that's an original fender design or an after market one, but they got pretty popular in the seventies. It's similar to the original 3 barrel design of the original tele's but allows for more precise intonation. And a stadard tele bridge is pretty difficult to setup, it usually involves some compromise.

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Good to know. Thanks all.

Might have to visit my "girlfriend" today. If the store will let me I'll take pix.

ReplyQuote