Clear all

pick up help

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Will the Fender Noiseless Tele Pickup fit into a squire telecaster? Will they improve the sound of the guitar that much?

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Will the Fender Noiseless Tele Pickup fit into a squire telecaster?

Yes, it should fit.
Will they improve the sound of the guitar that much?

That's a really difficult question to answer. It might, it might not - much depends on the entire sound chain and whether the weakness in the chain is the Squier pup. You may get better results by tweaking your amp, buying better cables, getting a good guitar set-up or adjusting whatever else you have in your sound chain.

On the other hand, if the Squier pup is a total lemon, a new pup may seem like a whole new world. Try the other things first, though.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Hey bud, go here. http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

They will give you what you're looking for.

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

That's a really difficult question to answer. It might, it might not - much depends on the entire sound chain and whether the weakness in the chain is the Squier pup. You may get better results by tweaking your amp, buying better cables, getting a good guitar set-up or adjusting whatever else you have in your sound chain.
I am not too worried about the "noiseless" part. I was asking more about the overall tone and sound of the pickups.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I am not too worried about the "noiseless" part. I was asking more about the overall tone and sound of the pickups.

My answer was in response to your question about overall tone - it had nothing to do with noise. If you have a crappy sound chain (cheap cables are a primary cause), no pup on earth is going to make it into your dream tone. If you have a dream sound chain, a new pup may improve it - it may destroy it (by swapping to a pup with significantly different output, for example). Nothing in your sound chain is totally independent of any other part - changing picks will change your sound, changing pick attack will change your sound, setting up your sound chain with old strings and then changing to new ones will affect your sound, so will a whole load of other things. A pickup is only one link in the chain.

Before going down the "new pickup" road, I'd strongly recommend taking the Forrok_Star Freeway and buying at least one equaliser.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Before going down the "new pickup" road, I'd strongly recommend taking the Forrok_Star Freeway and buying at least one equaliser.
ok. i will try adjusting the other parts. I know that I need a better amp. and i do have pretty cheap cables.

Thanks for your input.

edit: any cable recommendations?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

edit: any cable recommendations?

Do a search on GN, we had a thread about cables recently.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

A good amp will make even a mdiocre guitar sound really good so put your money there after the EQ.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

A good amp will make even a mdiocre guitar sound really good so put your money there after the EQ.
do i really need to blow money on an eq? what about amps with built in eqs?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The tone stack of an amp will only have an effect AFTER all of the other effects (distortion, echo, etc.) have come into play.

An external equaliser can adjust the tone BEFORE, WITHIN and AFTER an effects chain - you're definitely not limited to one equaliser.

An amp usually offers bass, middle and treble, at best. Even a cheap equaliser will offer 6 or 7 different bandwidths to adjust.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote