Clear all

Pickup Change

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Just looking for a bit of insight into a possible pickup change. I want to upgrade my Jay Turser Les Paul copy, so that it is better overall.

I'm looking for two humbuckers, that give a good rock tone, (Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Collective Soul...etc.) I'm using a Behringer V-Amp through the effects loop of Fender Princeton Chorus. I can get a decent tone, but it is a bit flat, or mircophonic sounding. I'm looking for a better quality. I like my setup now, which is why I'm opting for a pickup change instead of the other gear.

So any suggestions for some good pickups would be great, they don't nessacairly have to be an actual pair either.

Also, if I change the pickups, should I change the pots too?

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

(@the-dali)
Noble Member

OHG,

The pickups I would recommend are Seymour Duncan JB (bridge) and Jazz (neck). I had them in a semi-hollow Les Paul and they screamed.

Other possible pups... Original Bill Lawrence L-500 and L-510 blade pickups are phenomenal, and can be had for about $50 (each) NEW.

Also, you can't go wrong with a set of Gibson pickups. I have a set of 500T (bridge) and 496R (neck) in my Hamer Standard and they are the real deal. They are OEM pups in the Les Paul Classic. Only issue with Gibson is that they generally don't come with 4-condutor wiring for splitting (unless you buy aftermarket Gibson pickups for $100 each). You can get a set of 500T/496R pickups for $110 for the pair.

In terms of the pots... depends on what the Turser has for pots... if they are cheesy I would updgrade them. You have to re-wire anyway.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Yes, Gibson burstbuckers are supposed to be a good overall rock tone.

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote