Clear all

Pictures?

465 Posts
65 Users
0 Likes
49.1 K Views
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

the spanish inquisition strikes again :twisted: This guitar is clearly being tortured for playing disco music :P

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

looks like some kind of freakish roller coaster/catapault.

Back in medievil times, after all the shells and stuff were lost, the knights resorted to launching their guitars at their enemies...

Best stuff I could come up with

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I'll let you make up your own story about this picture before I tell you what it is.

OK so what is it :?:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@slipkid)
Eminent Member

This guitar is set to be scanned with a laser-vibrometer.
Kaman Corp (Ovation) started in the aero-space inustry. When they wanted to branch out into another area, Charlie Kaman moved some of his aeronautic engineers and equipment into this new project.
This laser-vibrometer scans the top of the guitar on 975 points. It shows a graphic representation of how the top moves. The screen shows the highest movement with light colors and darkens with less movement. A display looks like a circular rainbow that radiates from the bridge out to the edges. If a small area of darkness shows they can look at the bracing in that exact area and address the issue.
On the computer screen the display can be rotated to examine any angle or cross-section. What surprised me the most was just how much movement a guitar top has. It does not just vibrate back and forth in two directions. It heaves, flows, and rocks like a docked boat. The bass side bout of the guitar might be doing something very different from the treble side.
A group of us were shown this machine on a factory tour. I'm not trying to tout one brand over another. It was just very cool to get an understanding of what a guitar top, be it a Martin, Taylor, or whatever, really does to produce that fantastic sound.
I hope it was interesting.

Ovation....
Belly up to the bowl boys!!!!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Isnt that what I said?? 8)

Kidding.. That is very interesting. I would love to take a tour like that and see what goes into it.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

slipkid, you forget to mention the triangulating positiong system based upon the user's zenith point and geopolitical location

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

so, what you're sayin is that this is some kinda portal to Hell?
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@jewtemplar)
Reputable Member

...It does not just vibrate back and forth in two directions. It heaves, flows, and rocks like a docked boat. The bass side bout of the guitar might be doing something very different from the treble side...
That's a very interesting thing about the physics of vibrations. You can get a rough idea of the tonal complexity of a musical instrument just by looking at its shape. The boundaries of the vibrating medium generally determine the diversity of sound. The vibrations of air columns that produce sound in a flute or a pipe organ or tubular bells almost entirely one dimensional. The sound is distinctive, but the range of tone is very limited by the simple shape of the cavity. A single harp string can vibrate in a plane perpendicular to its length, but the constraints at both ends restrict the possible sound spectra. Then you have something like a banjo, with a circular vibrating membrane, which has a far greater number of vibrational modes, but even these are restricted enough that you can write out expressions for the membrane displacement as a function of position given a frequency of vibration (and some fancy math). Then there's the guitar, or the violin, and other weirdly shaped instruments. The boundary conditions on these are pretty inscrutable; you can't write out the vibration amplitudes with all the fancy math in the world unless you just have a computer simulate it. You can get all sorts of sounds out of a guitar because there's all this material to vibrate, and the distribution is asymmetric enough to produce an inconceivable number of independent modes. It's deliciously complicated stuff, but it just makes me the more glad I play a weirdly shaped instrument.

~Sam

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Wow, some fascinating stuff in the posts above, and some very creative explanations as well as the technical ones. :D

I think that my idiot grin in the avatar is enough of a photographic experience of me, so here's a picture of the attic.

Yes... we keep our terrible family secret hidden in the attic... my son ..(choke).. quite fancies (sob..I can hardly get the words out) ..... playing at being a..... :cry: :cry:........ drummer.. :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Yes... we keep our terrible family secret hidden in the attic... my son ..(choke).. quite fancies (sob..I can hardly get the words out) ..... playing at being a..... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad........ drummer.. Shocked

Look on the bright side, he won't ever be tempted to play your guitars! :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Yes... we keep our terrible family secret hidden in the attic... my son ..(choke).. quite fancies (sob..I can hardly get the words out) ..... playing at being a..... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad........ drummer.. Shocked

Look on the bright side, he won't ever be tempted to play your guitars! :lol: :lol:

and you can probably get good deals on Pizza!
btw, nice attic :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Yes... we keep our terrible family secret hidden in the attic... my son ..(choke).. quite fancies (sob..I can hardly get the words out) ..... playing at being a..... :cry: :cry:........ drummer.. :shock:

I feel your pain, last winter i visited my brother and noticed a ...gasp..DRUM KIT in the basement :shock: I knew then that one of my teen age nephews had gone awry :cry:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Kids eh...you do your best for them....

I bought my grand-daughter a nylon-strung acoustic (3/4 size) a couple of years ago....she moved on to violin at school, now plays cornet...her sister (age 7) has moved on to violin and her cousin plays clarinet....

My daughter dabbled with a keyboard a few years ago, then she tried guitar...I showed her a few chords, she seemed to take to it well....but then just lost interest completely....

Ah well...look on the bright side...like Smokindog said, at least they won't be tempted to mess with my guitars....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Yes, but the world does need drummers. I know, I know, a good guitar player can do wonderful things with rythym, but a drummer is needed for certain types of music. We have to respect their insanity for "playing" such an instrument. :roll:

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

and you can probably get good deals on Pizza!

btw, nice attic :wink:

:D

He likes pizza. :shock: Is this another warning sign!

Thanks for the attic comment. I designed and built the house myself (always fancied doing it one day) on 5 acres of bushland here in West Australia. I built a shed first and we lived in that for 2 years until the house was done enough to move into part of it.

Beautiful spot with a wide verandah that faces towards the west and gives a lovely view down a wooded valley towards the sunsets When the valley fills with mist it looks like orc territory, if you know what I mean. :? Perfect guitar noodling location.

At the slightest provocation I tend to post links to my web-space with a heap of pictures detailing all the building project from site clearing to the finished house (timber framed, up on what we call 'stumps'. You have been warned.... :wink:

ReplyQuote
Page 27 / 31