Clear all

Playing without mistakes?

39 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I am still laughing at Chris' post :lol:
The biggest mistake I made, try not to, but still do from time to time.
When I hit the wrong note/ chord etc.. I would stop or stumble.
I have found that if I play something wrong but keep playing without slowing down the overall performance is quite nice.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

First, my definition of a musician -- someone who strives to be better musically today than they were yesterday.

From a pragmatic perspective, what Chris says is right on. You will NEVER play a song exactly the way you want unless you stop being a musician.

But at the same time, there's a lot you can do to get your playing to a higher level.

First and foremost, don't accept slop in your practice.

Say today you want to work on a song, and you start playing the song and you get 2 measures in and make a mistake. Stop and drill that bit until you can do it at a level that's acceptable to you. Maybe it'll take you all your practice time on that one measure, but when you play it tomorrow you'll be better that measure tomorrow than you were today.

Always play a song you're working on through at least once though, mistakes and all, so that you don't build the habit of stopping or pausing when you blunder.

Drill the basics daily -- scales, chord changes, arpeggios, hammer-ons and pull-offs. Those are the tools to build your chops. Work on them dilligently.

You need to treat your practice sessions as if you had a drill seargant standing over you ready to come down on your head if you don't correct the slightest error immediately. Discipline, dedication and hard work are the only acceptable attitudes.

Now, as hard as you need to get on your real practice time, you need to lay off on your play time. When you pick up the guitar not to practice but just to play a song and have fun -- do that. Let the mistakes go. Don't worry about them. You're taking care of that stuff in practice and it'll get better, so let it go and enjoy it. Heck, explore those mistakes, let them happen and see where they lead you. You can learn alot about being a musician just by taking a mistake and running with it till you get back to the song.

Remember that all the hard work is being put in so you can have fun, so have fun and don't worry about if it's perfect or not -- cuase remember, it never will be. But because you practiced hard, it'll be better tomorrow.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Wow... thanks for all the appreciative laughter. :oops: :wink:

Everybody's responses summed what a great forum this is. I really liked that everybody joined in the laughter while still being supportive of Sweet-chan's problem. And some very good advice from some of the experienced players here too. :D

Musically inclined people just seem to be a good bunch to get along with - and especially so at this forum. I used to post at a car forum and at various games forums and there were always a bunch of miserable types ready to tell you off, argue with a nasty edge, put you down and so on. Here the atmosphere is relaxed, supportive, informative and fun too. Great people, great place. :D

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I used to post at a car forum and at various games forums and there were always a bunch of miserable types ready to tell you off, argue with a nasty edge, put you down and so on. I know a big guitar forum like that, too. But you're not on it now!
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Here the atmosphere is relaxed, supportive, informative and fun too. Great people, great place. :D

This is why I count my lucky stars I found this place. In the beginning it was rough, still is at times, but 99% of the people here are great!!!

Btw, funny stuff Chris. Way to lighten up the mood! :D

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

At the beginning?

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Sorry, I meant playing wise it was rough in the beginning and still is at times and 99% of the people here are great and very supportive.

Sorry for the confusion.

Edit: I still am, in the beginning!

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

LMAO@Chris_C

i move that Chris_C be awarded "Full Member" status with all privileges based on that one post reply alone :lol:

I second that :lol: :lol: :lol: :idea: That should get a sticky somewhere :!:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

LMAO@Chris_C

i move that Chris_C be awarded "Full Member" status with all privileges based on that one post reply alone :lol:

I second that :lol: :lol: :lol: :idea: That should get a sticky somewhere :!:

Thanks very much for your kind comments Smokindog and TwistedLefty. :D

Looks like I made it to Full Member status anyway, just by getting so caught up in the atmosphere of this place. From Newbie to Junior Member to Full Member in only eleven days. Something of a record for me on forums. I'm not usually that enthusiastic! :wink:

At this pace I'll be "Antique Member" by the end of the Month, "Historical Curiosity" by November and "Fossil" by Christmas. :shock:

BTW I've just spent half an hour or so listening to Smokindog and the Bluezers at soundclick and was absolutely blown away by how good the tracks were. :D

As a beginner, I'm still awestruck by people who really can play. It was inspiring to listen to your work and be re-ignited to keep chasing in your footsteps to see how close I can get to having that ability..... envy.... envy....

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Thanks Chris, Smokindog and the Bluezers is my alter ego, besides, I have to let the voices in my head get out somehow, It keeps me sane :twisted: My therapist says I'm making good progress :lol: :lol:
Doing stuff on multi track is cool because you can play each part over and over and over and over.........till you get it right. When I was using cassette tape( I still do on occasion) I would almost wear out the tape befor i got it right :oops:
GN is a great place to visit, folks here are cool, and the MODs do an excellent job of keeping things friendly, unlike some other forums I've been to :D They pretty much got the golden rule thing going on here :D--the dog

PS. If you get a chance check out the forum jams, we are always looking for folks to jam with!! ALL skill levels are welcome and encouraged :D :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Thanks Chris, Smokindog and the Bluezers is my alter ego, besides, I have to let the voices in my head get out somehow, It keeps me sane :twisted: My therapist says I'm making good progress :lol: :lol:
Doing stuff on multi track is cool because you can play each part over and over and over and over.........till you get it right.

I read how you were all of the 'band' as well as the lead singer, songwriter, roadie and general manager. Thought it was great. :D

I bought a multi-track thing with that idea too. To learn to do a rhythm track and then a solo over the top and so on. Also to get better players than me to record something that I can both copy and record over, under or whatever for the practice.

I've got all the gear - all the books - all the ambitions - just the ability and talent missing now! :shock: Working on it though. :wink:

I took the machine to a lesson with a new teacher last night and asked him if was OK to just let it run so I could re-run it during the week to see how he'd played each piece, what he'd said, etc. It was quite funny how it made him rather nervous at times - just like I feel under his gaze! At one stage he asked if I could pause it while he figured something out. I said "nah, don't worry, I'll make a CD of all your best mistakes and give it to you for Christmas. :o He needn't have worried - I didn't press enough frickin' buttons and the track was blank anyway.... serves me right..

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Dog, nice tracks

Chric, I just got a recorder -effects combo last night. Now to just figure out how to use both along with my MAC.

John M

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Digital recorder thingy is on my GAS list as well. Not sure which one. I really know nothing about recording. Recorded a demo CD once but I was on the so called "Talent" end and didnt get to be a part of the technical end.

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

This is the one I got:

Zoom Mrs-8

Quite compact and lots of effects, capabilities, etc including a drum machine and so on. Not too bad a price compared to some I saw, and it is portable.

The downside is that there are quite a bunch of actual knobs and pads and then a gazillion more things on the menu screen. :shock: I guess the electronic menu thing is cheaper than having a proper button for everything, but not so intuitive.

Good when it works though. :D

It's really a lot more than I need but, as you say - severe GAS attack - I went out to buy a simple tape recorder and came back with that. :roll:

EDIT: And to get back on topic - it's good for learning to iron out mistakes too. :) Record, listen, learn, evaluate, rinse and repeat, etc..

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

That's the reason I'm getting either the Pod or Behringer's VAmp 2. I started actually talking just a couple of weeks ago, and was inspired to get a mic so that I could at least participate...I'm so happy with how things are working that I want to get something so that my guitar doesnt sound like it's going through a condenser mic (which it is right now).

Have fun with your MRS-8...I've heard really good things about them.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3