Notifications
Clear all

Playing without mistakes?

39 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Have fun with your MRS-8...I've heard really good things about them.

Thanks. Good to hear a positive independent opinion. :)

The machine seems fine - it's just the DOS side of things that is sometimes problematic (Damned Operator Senility).

It does also have a condenser mike on it, which is surprisingly powerful. If I'm upstairs doing something with the headphones on, and the condenser mike is active, I can actually hear what my wife and son are saying downstairs more clearly than if I takes the headphones off! Makes me feel like one of those guys crouched in a van full of listening gear in the movies. :)

The condenser mike certainly seem good enough to just "tape" a lesson so that I can refer back to what was said, or how something is supposed to sound, etc. Of course direct plug-in is better once you really want to play seriously.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

The trick is make it sound like part of the song. If your playing with a band keep on playing don't stop, keep playing and maybe next time around do it again and folks will think its just part of the song. I know vocalist/guitarist that after he's reached a certain point in the party to much before the show mode. He can sing out of key, while playing guitar out of key to the rest of the band and still make it sound great. Really its quite amazing how he does it. Some of his band members get pretty upset, I think it takes talent to be able to pull that off. It takes the band a couple measures to realize's what's going on, by then he's back on track and things are back to normal.

Then again thats were practice, practice, and more practice comes into play. The more you practice the better you get, along with that comes confidence in yourself, the more fun you'll be having playing. Mistakes will fall along the road way as only a word.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Chris, nice. It is good to record yourself and hear what you played. I did a quickie on a song I was working on last night, hit record and forgot the drum machine, I can do tempo I said to myself. On playback, yea right. On the other track I got off beat a few times. Just have to go back tonight and do the track again. But it is good for hearing mistakes in songs and timing. I recorder one of my classical lessons a few weeks ago that I thought I had nailed. Track sounded good, but on playback I could see the metronome marks and I missed the timing in 2 spots. Of course my instructor noticed this right off. This way I was able to go back and get it right.

Folk, good info, gives me something to think about.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Interesting to hear your experience 300m. :)

At least you hit record correctly! And it sounds like it's already proving itself to be a valuable learning tool.

I must remember to put my glasses on before pressing the buttons next time I try to record a lesson. There's a row of buttons that light up and flash and in my haste I got two out of the three correct, and one wrong. :?

I also did a primitive attempt at a blues shuffle on one track and then did a very simple solo ever the top. First ever attempt at that kind of thing for this beginner and it was a great thrill to hear the results, rough and ready though they were.

The effects seemed pretty good too. I have a friend who is a very good classical player and we recorded him and then added effects that made it sound like it was in different places - like a big hall, small room etc. Could also make his track sound completely different by adding rock and roll type effects. We were both surprised at what the machine could do.

All too easy to get distracted by that stuff though, so I now only use it for straight recording. Time enough to go back to the bells and whistles when I'm good enough to make it worthwhile...

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I think it is the mistakes that make live playing so much fun. I love seeing how a player reacts and fixes a mistake. The really good ones make it tough to even notice.

I just turn the gain way up to cover up my many mistakes. :D

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Chris,
You are right it is fun. I have done a couple of rock tracks now, mostly rhythm and drums and I want to lay some bass ob that and then try a solo. I am using an effects pedal with a built in compact flash and recorder. I can also port to my MAC via USB. Having fun right now and getting a bit bogged down with all the opptions. Today is just clean recording though and tomorrow I will try my classical session through the unit. I just might add some small reverb later to see what that sounds like. Good point!

Crank, classical should be as close to the original as possiable, rock now you get to improvise :)

John M

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I am using an effects pedal with a built in compact flash and recorder.

What do you use? I've been trying to decide between an effects pedal which has drum tracks or a recorder which has drum tracks, I didn't know of an effects pedal with a recorder..

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Digitech GNX4. Effects processor, with 8 track recorder and on board compact flash. I can save to the CF or my laptop.
GNX4
There is more info on the guitar workstation site on the GNX4 page

John M

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Digitech GNX4. Effects processor, with 8 track recorder and on board compact flash. I can save to the CF or my laptop.
GNX4
There is more info on the guitar workstation site on the GNX4 page

Thanks, I will check it out!

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3