Clear all

plz help me buy a mandolin

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey I wanted to get a mandolin, but i dont really know much about them. Anyone have any suggestions, or warnings?

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I was thinking of getting a mandolin a little while back but I haven't yet. It's like buying a guitar. A good one costs more than what you want to spend. You have to look around, play some, get what sounds and feels good to you. The brand that I was interested in, from what I remember, is Johnson. They seem to have reasonably priced mandolins (read cheap) that aren't so bad. But be forewarned, this opinion comes from internet shopping, I never actually had one in my hands. Other than that, the cheapest all wood mandolin of pretty good quality that I found, if you're willing to spend money, was $500. I don't remember the brand.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

If your looking for an inexpensive Mandolin. Kentucky makes very good Mandolins for their price. They have several A styles for under $300 most if not all with solid spruce tops. F styles start at about $400.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@pkrider)
Trusted Member

I live in Ventura and I know these guys personally. Gene hand picks everything he sells, and he's a great musician. Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kentucky-KM-140S-A-Style-Mandolin-Beginners-Choice_W0QQitemZ7401225072QQihZ016QQcategoryZ10179QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not affiliated, but I have shopped his store and highly recomend.

PK

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

Only in America can you get a "Kentucky" mandolin made in California!

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote