question on effects pedals

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Pup
(@pup)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

OK, i don't know alot about pedals or effects, so with that said i want to ask about 2 effects pedals.

1.) Turbo Flange (stero flanger)

&

2.) Digiverb (digital reverb)

What do you know about these? How do they work and how will they improve my sound?

One thing i am looking at doing is, in a band setting, having speakers on both sides of the drummer, for stereo effect of course, but will i be able to make the guitar sound from one side of the speakers and then switch to the other side and then come from both sides together? Will the stereo flanger achieve this? Like in an intro to a song for instance.

Yes i'm alittle behind the times when it comes to pedals, lol

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

A Flanger is kind-of related to the chorus and phaser effects. What it does is rotates a portion of the sound in and out of phase with a portion which varies the delay time and sweeps the frequency sectrum. And yes, it will sweep between the speakers

The Reverb effect produces the sensation that you're listening from anywhere from a large hall or acoustic chamber. This effect can add acoustical space and dimension to your guitar sound and tone.

A couple other effects you may want to consider would be a digital delay with multi-tap capabilities. Which can be use to move sound Left, Right, and Center of the sound field. Example, have different delay times for Left, Right, and Center. Another effect would be a Panner, which would pan your guitar signal back and forth between the speakers.

hope this helped.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 Pup
(@pup)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

yes, you helped alot, thank you.

i was thinking about the digital delay, someone was telling me that it works rather good to go between clean and distortion alot smoothier so to speak. Is that true? what i mean is where it's not noticable at all like if your doing something in a clean tone you still get a slight sustain or echo from the last note then when you switch into distortion, there seems to me anyway a noticable difference, does that make sense?

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

A delay will be more transparent than other effects. When changing from clean to distorted a flanger which is sweeping the frequency bands will have a more noticable sound and tone change because the frequency of sound and tone changes when changing between the two. I think I said that right.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 Pup
(@pup)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So what i want is a flanger right? Cause what i want is to have a smooth transition from distorion to clean and from clean back to distortion again.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Here's what a flanger sounds like, I don't remember what I set it at. It does create the illusion that its moving between the speakers, when really is sweeping the frequency bands. There's times I've used a flanger and then used a panner to move more suttle between the speakers.

Flanger Sound

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

As you can tell from Joe's sample, a flanger is a sort of a shifting, warping, sound. If you just want to make the transition between turning on and off your distortion pedal smoother, a delay or a reverb effect will probably be better. The distorted sound won't just cut of, it will echo around a bit first.

If you want to switch the sound left and right, what you want is an A/B box. You'll have two buttons, one to toggle amp #1, and one to toggle amp #2. You'd stomp one button to activae the first amp, stomp both at once to turn off the first and on the the second, then stomp the first again to have them both on. Lehle makes some very good ones.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Here's a manual volume/panner foot pedal that will allow smooth (or not)right/left channel transisitions:

http://www.ernieball.com/products_pedals.php

It's about $150 US

If you want an automatic panner, a stereo delay that offers "ping-pong" delay might do the trick. Check out the Line6 DL-4. Just about the best delay modeler out there. About $250 US.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote