Rant!

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Kr1s
(@kr1s)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I was unsure where to put this post as this forum is rather large. As I have been readin up on a fair bit of theory lately I thought I would take a break and just jam along to some songs I know and enjoy playing. Though since reading up on various articles some things have become apparent to me, which I have now tried to correct within my playing thus having a rather bad effect on how I play. An example being my finger positioning. As I have found things out for myself through vairous frinds and website I as you'd no doubt expect not learnt as much as say if I had a teacher. Due to this fact I have been unaware that I have been placing my fingers incorectly upon the fretboard, not sure if this is the reason why my fingers look all wonky and such. Though now I have changed them so I place the tip of my finger on the string I find it increasingly difficult to mute any stings which are not to be played. This has also alerted me to another weakness vis a vis my strumming.

You could say I am rather frustrated now as I am unable to play songs as well as I could :( Does anyone have any kind words of advice for me as I am feeling overwhelmed and frustrated at the moment.

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Take a step back, procedd with caution and practice, practice, practice...you'll be fine

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Kr1s
(@kr1s)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I know you are right, I spend the majority of the day either playing or reading theory now the holidays are upon us. Though I get so frustrated. I am hopefully going to get into University next year and I need to try and get as good as I possibly can, hence why I probably do get frustrated so much.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Kris - remember this is supposed to be enjoyable, not dredded work. As cnev said, relax and things will come as they come. You appear to be putting in the hours, so your progress will be more rapid than others who practice less. And, believe it or not, when you relax & enjoy it, things seem to click faster.

ReplyQuote
 Kr1s
(@kr1s)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

haha yeah you're right, just need a little breather I think I been at it non stop lately. Thanks for the advice.

ReplyQuote