Clear all

Recording on the Comp

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ever since I got Audicity (thanks metaelli head) I've been wanting to record all guitar/bass/vocal parts of a song to make my own for fun. For some reason, my microphone isn't picking up the sound loud enough. I ahve placed it right in front of the map, actually touching the front grill, and my amp is at a high enough volume. I've even cranked the amp up but it records at low volumes.
1. What can I do to fix this?
2. I've seen an option where I can record with a "line in." Is there a guitar cable input on the comp? Can soemone clear that up for me? How would I go about using this? pros and cons?

Thanks

(@mitchell)
Eminent Member

Try turning the microphone volume up in audacity.

The other thing to try is using the line-in on your sound card. You take a audio cord from the headphone jack on your amp to your sound card.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

In Audacity, do a ctrl-P to bring up preferences, and check your inputs.

When I first fired it up on my computer the input and output were both set to Microsoft Sound Mapper instead of to my sound device.

Changing them made a world of difference!

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks patzer. I tried it and my input was that sound mapper, and i changed to it my soundcard/ media device. I didn't get a chance to try it becuase it was late at night, and i'm sure parents wouldn't be to happy with it. lol. Thanks again

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Get another chord to go from the headphone jack of your amp to the microphone input on yoursoundcard. Go to radioshack and pick up a 1/4in stereo to 1/8th inch stero jack adapter. That's what I use and it works very well

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

nobody's had any problems with blowing their sound cards?
cool then im re-downloading audacity right now.
my sound card blew when i had my amp hooked directly to the mic jack.. but then again i wasnt using my amp i was using a 400 watt pa head as an EQ.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

You could also turn off automatic gain control, if you've got it. Then turning up the amp should giver you higher input.

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

keep in mind the amp I use is only 15watts...

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@mark-taylor)
Estimable Member

IMPORTANT NOTE: lINE LEVEL SIGNAL SHOULD BE USED ONLY FOR RECORDING TO SOUND CARDS. You can use headphone out jack to line in jack on sound card, but beware of small voltage to push headphones.
I bought a nice audio buddy pre-amp from GC and just go directly into a mixer board and bring the output from there to my sound card. I can insert effects and mikes and record right to either audacity or goldwave.

By the way, the audio buddy was only 50 bucks.

You can ride a Yamaha, or play a Yamaha, it is up to you.

ReplyQuote