Notifications
Clear all

S1 Strat vs US test

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rpryor)
Topic starter  

Further to my last post, I test drove the Deluxe with S1 switching and a US standard through the clean channel on the same amp I use at home (a hotrod deluxe).

The sound/tone was about the same on switch settings 1,3 and 5 (without S1 activated) but the US standard was significantly better on 2 and 4. I didn't find the S1 switching changed the tone a lot although it certainly boosted the volume. The US strat won hands down on 2 and 4 regardless of the on/off of the S1 switch. A friend with me who plays really well also thought it was no contest.

Not having a refined ear, I am very surprised at the number of folk on the Harmonycentral site who raved about the noiseless p/ups like they were the best ever. To me the difference is very obvious.

I am now thinking of getting the deluxe so I get the body finish I want (to match my stolen baby), locking tuners and the other nice bits on the assumption I can swap out the p/ups.

Anyone know whether the S1 switching works with any p/ups or only the samarian noiseless? Asking at the shop has proven to be unreliable.

I will contact Fender but I am not sure I can wait long enough for the answer

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I'm sure it will work with any pickup thats wired regulary, the samarium cobalt just makes it noiseless, the s1 is a different thing I think. I'm not sure though so wait for that reply from Fender. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I'm sure it will work with any pickup thats wired regulary, the samarium cobalt just makes it noiseless, the s1 is a different thing I think. I'm not sure though so wait for that reply from Fender. 8)

yoyo -- Samarius cobalt is just the formulation of the magnetic material. It may change the tone and output level, but it would not make a pup noiseless -- only two things do this: electrical shielding and a second, out-of-phase coil such as used in humbuckers, stacked "single" coils or dummy coils. I suspect SCN pups have stacked coils, and this is probably the primary reason for the tonal difference as compared to true single coil Strat pups.

As to whether the S1 switching works with a different set of pups: From web descriptions, the S1 should work with any Strat pups. However that does not mean the sonic results will be the same. I suspect that SCNs are probably optimized a bit to work well in the series mode swithing that S1 (down) adds to the mix. Nevertheless, it looks as if S1 up position should provide the same switching results as a normal Strat -- so there would be no problems there. OTOH the S1 down position might actually sound better with the true single coil pups. Won't know until you try.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I have the American Deluxe Strat w/S1 switch. As far as I'm concerned, everything works the same until you engage the S1 switch. As soon as you engage the S1 you get more crunch to each pup selection.

To me, it gives me more options if I want to change my tones.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I forgot to mention, I also have the HRD and mine sounds FANTASTIC through it.

You have to remember to try others in the same model. The Deluxe I bought didn't sound as good as the first one I tried. I really like the weight, feel and sound of mine.

Go to different stores and test them all out and tell me if you hear/feel a difference in each individual one you play.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Oops gnease, I thought it had to do with noiseless. :oops: Anyway, it doesn't matter, I think any pickups would work..

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

I'll have to remember that... 'cause the LP's I like are twice as much, and I am a poor, cash-strapped college student who wants a quality guitar :)

Now, anybody got opinions on the ones with the DH-1 humbuckers? (Am. Deluxe fat strats)?

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@rpryor)
Topic starter  

Updating my review, the insurer agreed to replace the Strat deluxe and I picked it up yesterday. Still thought it sounded a bit thin but with a switch to heavier gauge strings it really came to life - the sustain and tone is excellent. Definitely better than my stolen pre-S1 pre SCN p/up deluxe.

Finish is generally excellent but there are a few quality issues you would not expect on what is not a cheap guitar. One of the two screws holding the claw for the bridge was stripped (assume this occurred in the factory). This meant I couldn't finish setting it up before band practice last night. The 5 way switch plastic has a nasty "tag" from the moulding process. Both these are easy to fix but shouldn't be there.

Can't wait for the weekend

ReplyQuote