92 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
11.5 K Views
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

My girlfriend is also huge on the blues

:shock: My god I'm jealous :lol:

Well, congratulations man. The girls around here are either into pop or that emo metal junk :wink:

Doesn't help that I'm in 9th grade either :lol:

I won't be swapping my EMG's ever, but I've been considering an LP and will look into those for it.

Little Wing is one of my favorite songs ever, ranks up there with "Freebird" (yeah, cheesy, I know, but it sums me up well at times :) )

Thanks again man and Rock On

Ethan

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

Just wanted to say that it's awesome to meet a blues guy like yourself. The town I live in now has NO taste in music whatsoever except for a few of the real musicians here :wink:

Thanks for all your help and Rock On

If you're ever in NL look me up, I'd love to jam 8)

Ethan

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@bruce-page)
Eminent Member

SGinCYQX. Dont ever apologize for Freebird. Nothing wakes up a crowd faster than a little Lynard.

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

I agree.
Any song that's dedicated to Duane Allman is Okay by me. :)

And Ethan,
It's great to find someone of your musical caliber as well.
Glad I could be of some assistance :D

Let me know when you get that L5.
I'd really like to get your take on it.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

I don't think it was about Duane Allman. The band dedicated the song to him almost every time they played it, but I think it was just a song about not feeling right where you are and deciding to move on. I feel like this a lot, so I can really feel this song.

It is an incredible song, and it means a lot to me. I find it tends to be a bit long for most audiences, and lots of people get annoyed halfway into the 5-minute solo. :lol:

Actually, it was this song that made me want to get into bottleneck slide, and I'm glad I did.

As for the L5, any idea if I'd be able to find one in Canada? I really want one now :lol:

Thanks

Fly On, Little Wing, Fly On

Ethan

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

I believe you are correct about Free Bird - It was already in the can and they were playing it at the time of Duane's
death. They were then moved to dedicate it to their hero.
And, I'm one of those that turns the song off as soon as the lyrics are done. :roll:

Bottleneck huh????
Open tunings????
What do you use for a slide????
And who are your other influences there????

As for the L5 - my suggestion is to keep looking on ebay.
NL is considered Canada,,,,,(?)

Most ebayers would ship there from the states I would think.

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

NL has been a part of Canada since the '60s. (I think) :lol:

I don't really have the feeling for bottleneck slide, but I'm working on it. I mostly just fool around in standard or open E, and I play whatever slide tab I can find. I use a medium glass slide. I'll have to check the brand name.

My main slide influence is definitely Gary Rossington, but I've learned a lot from a man called Steinar Gregertsen who used to be fairly active on these forums. (Sadly, we never interacted, that was before I finally signed up :wink: )

I love the Freebird solo, to me it sounds like an improvised jam with three of the best guitarists ever. It also made me want a Firebird :lol:

Southern rock is another of my huge influences, especially Skynyrd, Blackfoot, and the Allman Brothers.

Thanks again and Fly On, Little Wing, Fly On

Ethan

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Cool,
If you like a southern style, slide guitar, and Gibbo Reverse body Firebirds,
You gotta check out Johnny Winter 8)
(if you haven't already - which of course will lead you to Electric Mud; Muddy Waters 8) 8) 8) 8) )

J.W. sets his amps the way I do - Treble full up, Mid & Low all down, then a crack up; somewhere between 0 & 1.
Unless of course we're talkin 50's tube amps that had no such tone controls :)
If an amp doesn't sound good with the tone controls set like that - It's no good IMO :lol:

I like acoustic open tuning slide stuff myself. Check into Roy Rogers. He's got some of his own stuff, and he played
with John Lee Hooker ( one of my favorites - most people think it's too simple; Man, it's all about the groove. And Johnny Lee's got that to spare!!!! )
And of course - Robert Johnson :twisted:

Ken

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

I've never really given Johnny a good listen, but I'll be sure to check him out.

Most of my sliding is done on my SG, and I find it great for bottleneck.

I love southern rock, and my sister, who is a drummer, is usually up for a couple of Skynyrd songs 8)

I'll have to try that amp setting; I haven't even really plugged in at all lately. I've been busy with school.

Funny how you can't take a break to play your instrument for a bit, but anyone who might think they need anything done see fit to interrupt you, isn't it? :lol:

Anyway, thanks much.

Fly On

Ethan

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

Also, I looked up that video of Sheryl and Clapton playing Little Wing-I was extremely impressed. There were several others where they played together, including one of Crow's "My Favorite Mistake" where she plays a red bass. She has considerably more talent as a player than I gave her credit for initially, but she still couldn't keep up with Clapton :wink:

It was a great video and a great song. Isn't the internet great? :wink:

Thanks again and Fly On

Ethan

EDIT: Also, I've updated my avatar to a picture of my SG, if you're interested :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Ethan -
I saw your SG pop up earlier today :D
Cool 8)
That's a real nice looking guitar.
I always favored white guitars myself. :wink:
Does it have Block inlays up to the first fret????
Pretty trick.

Yeah, that wasn't a bad video.
I LOVE watchin' the sax player STEAL the spot from EC :shock: :twisted: :lol:
He didn't know what ta do!!!!

He seems to be in pretty good form these days.
I'd pretty much written him off since Derek & the Dominos.

If you don't have the Layla album yet - I highly recomend it.
EC playin' a stock 56 strat thru a mid 50's wide panel tweed Fender Champ amp (about 5 watts)
"Backed" by Duane Allman playing a Gibbo Goldtop w/humbuckers thru (probably) his Marshall 50 watt.
I say Backed in quotes because truth be told - Duane did most of the heavy work on that album.
Including Little Wing.
Some good slide on there for ya.

Also, Mick Taylor is a fantastic slide player.

How's your song comin' along....?

Ken

EDIT
I ran across this vid. Thought you might like it. It's B.B. King with HIS Hero T-Bone Walker.
B.B. had a time when he was totally copping T-Bone's stuff.
Actually T-Bone influenced ALL the old time electric blues players.
Ken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rakbryd3Ys

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

Nope, those would be the standard Gibson trapezoids up to the third fret, but it does look like blocks in the pic. Thanks for the kind words. I assume that that would be your '71 Strat in your pic? It's gorgeous.

Also, I'll have to check out that Layla album-I can never find most stuff like that here, but I'll still check.

That video was awesome :shock:

I guess that would have been B.B on vocals, right?

Also, some sad news on the P.G LP front. I believe Gary Moore has sold the guitar, no idea when or to who. Hopefully some one who will play it.

Something interesting-I play a bit of sax myself :D

Thanks again and Fly On

Ethan

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Ethan - Hey bud! :D
Missed ya yesterday. :cry:

Actually, the olympic white on maple board is my 88.
Thankx though, it is a pretty guitar. Elegant as I like to put it. :D

LOL
I guess B.B. was pretty young and hard to recognize there - especially since his guitar wasn't black.

T-Bone started out singing while B.B. played - then they switched. B.B. sang most of it.
He had the (red????-es-335???)

GM sold it huh....?
Why would he do that????
I heard the other day that he was asking a measely 2mil for it.
That's nothin'. He can't be that desperate for cash, can he????

You play the sax!!!! AWSOME
My favorite instrument next to the guitar.
Check out Dexter Gordon's Ballads disc.
Slow blues - TONs of reed!!!! Fantastic!

Ken

This is my 71 - :D

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

Now that's my type of Strat. Rosewood fretboard, sunburst with a white pickguard-awesome.

That's the problem with wireless internet-it only works as long as the main computer does :lol:

So the guy with the ES was B.B? That's who I thought it was.

I'm not sure why Gary sold the L.P, but I can only hope it's still being played. :lol:

I don't own a sax at the moment, but I'm looking for another one. :D

Saxophones get expensive-really expensive. Up to $4000 expensive. A beginner sax starts at around $799 Canadian-about what I paid for my Epi.

I'll have to check out Gordon Dexter, though.

Thanks again and Fly On

Ethan

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Yeah, she's got the tone 8)
Again, ash body/rosewood board - the only way to fly for great tone.
It's got the stock, rough cut staggered pole piece pups - they're kinda powerful.
The 71 likes to scream. Lot's of volume.
It's a bit harsh at quieter settings.
The 88 though has the stock flush cut pole piece pups - very mellow.

P.G. still plays. And although he has dismissed the Les Paul as a Jazz guitar these days
(as I've seen him with a red strat), I think it should be gifted to him - just because.

Ken

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 7