Skip to content
Should I or shouldn...

Notifications
Clear all

Should I or shouldn't I......NOW WITH PICTURE!!!!

54 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Playing in the pub last night, my guitar looked really cheap compared to the Gibsons Epiphones Martins and Takamines on show....BUT....it sounded pretty good to me....

Anyway - the Mrs called in -I said to her "look at those guitars, Marilyn, I really need a better acoustic...."

(I'd never ever part with the Encore for sentimental reasons...she bought it for my birthday a couple of years ago, when I was guitarless....)

To cut a long story short, she's agreed that I can buy a new acoustic.... I'd like one with a cut-away, so's I can get higher than the 12th fret...

But I'm having second thoughts, already got a 12-string, and I really am used to the Encore....should I spend money on a whim and for the sake of looking flashy, or will playing a "better" guitar make me a better guitarist?

I know already what Nick would/will say....no such thing as too rich, too thin or too many guitars.....

I guess I'm just looking for an excuse to go out and buy another guitar - 7 so far - but any thoughts would be welcome....

:) :) :)

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Vic, would you mind listing the 7 guitars you have? It would help us to see where the "gap" is.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Of course you should - Nuff said :twisted:

You will lose sleep of missed opportunities. Now it is just a matter of what to buy so tell us what you have.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

After playing on and off for more than 25 years, I find myself in much the same position as you, Vic. I've got several electrics, bass, banjo, classical, 12 string and backpacker, yet still use the plywood-topped steel string I bought in high school. It's not a wonderful guitar, but I keep playing it and every time I decide to get another instrument, it's never a quality flat-top to replace it. Admittedly, I play more electric than acoustic, but nobody ever seems to notice (in a negative way) when I play my beater Alvarez PoS. I think my playing skills are such that they might sound better on a cleaner, more open acoustic, but the old one just always ends up in hands. Recently, I nearly bought an Martin HD-28 because it just seems to sound and feel right. When I went home to think it over, I realized I liked it so much because my Alvarez is basically a Martin knock-off. Okay, the Martin sounds better, but I keep looking for a different experience. Now I have my eye on either a new Taylor T5 thinline acoustic-electric or something ES335-like-- so the old beater will probably win out again.

Besides some empathy, the only other thing I can offer you is this advice: Do not be easily seduced by a cutaway. The missing volume can make noticeable sonic difference in the bass response. Some makers (e.g., Taylor) make models with and without the cutaway. Try both -- acoustic only -- to compare. And don't just listen from behind the guitar; have someone play it for you to judge the sound.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

hmm, it occurs to me that you may have answered your own question, simply by your choice of venues - most people here are going to say "yeah, go get one".

have fun :D

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You need a cutaway. Go buy the guitar.
Now.
Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

The more I think about it the less logical it is for you to buy another guitar. After all what fun would it be to have just one more guitar to choose from even if it is a step up from the one(s) you have. I just don't think it is a good idea to have too many guitars. Right Nick?

I also think you need to be cautious with the jealousy factor with your other guitars.

Who am I kidding? Go buy the thing but follow the normal advice we all give of trying them all until the right one finds you.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Current guitar list.....

Encore EA225 acoustic (with wired bridge)
Avalanche 12-string acoustic
Squier stratocaster
Squier custom telecaster
Freshman Bass
Hondo Acoustic (held together with gaffer tape, I raised the action and put heavy strings on, just use it for slide...)
and god-knows-what make cheapo nylon strung acoustic...

I guess I'm just trying to justify spending even more money on yet another guitar....the way I look at it, if I have to spend nearly £2000 on new doors when the old ones still keep the wind and the rain and the wolves out, I'm sure I can afford £200 or so for a good acoustic....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Now obviously as you said the encore has to much sentimental value to get rid of, so if I were in your position what I would do would be to re-string the Encore for Nashville tuning and then by a nice cutaway acoustic/electric for standard 6 string use.
I was playing one of these a couple of weeks ago at Prosound and it is a lovely guitar- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/515147/
If you don't like it and aren't sure if you want to buy another guitar you can always buy it for me :lol:

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah Teleplayer I'm sure the Mrs would love that....spend £200 on a new guitar and ship it off to Denver Colorado...I really would have a hard tim justifying that!!!!

Anyway....I've decided I'm going to the guitar shop tomorrow...just to browse you understand...and Marilyn has decided to come with me, just to get some fresh air you understand......

:D :D :D

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

vic, you should definately get the guitar, but leave before your wife gets up, so you can spend a bunch of money, lol, just kidding, but if you want a new guitar, get a new guitar, you only live once, happy shopping.

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

You can tell her I'd be more than happy to pay the shipping :P

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

Encore EA225 acoustic (with wired bridge)
Avalanche 12-string acoustic
Squier stratocaster
Squier custom telecaster
Freshman Bass
Hondo Acoustic (held together with gaffer tape, I raised the action and put heavy strings on, just use it for slide...)
and god-knows-what make cheapo nylon strung acoustic...

Hey Vic, believe it or not my guitar list almost exactly matches yours (not including brand names). I'm just missing the 12-string, which is the next thing I want to get.

Fender acoustic w/ pickup (the one I always play)
Yamaha Pacifica (a Strat copy)
Custom Telecaster
Bass I never play
Gaffer-taped acoustic w/ high action for slide
God-knows-what make cheapo nylon acoustic

And if I got a 12-string, the next thing I'd want would probably be a high quality acoustic with a cutaway. Need to get rid of something first though.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Vic,

I don't know how big your stores are over on your side of the pond but, I made the mistake of not bringing a pad and pen with me. Why, because I played the most wonderful sounding acoustic, put it down to try another to compare, then another, then another and so on………….. next thing I knew, it took me at least a month trying to find the guitar that enchanted me so much. So if you can, bring a pad and pen.

I never told my friend (an absolutely AMAZING guitarist) because I knew I found a gem. I brought it over one day and he was blow away with the way it felt and sounded. Now he wants me to bring it over all the time. Guitar – Taylor 310CE. I happen to have the funds for it at the time so I bought it.

gnease,

The Taylor T5 thinline is really nice if you have the money. I watched a video on it through the Taylor website. You should check out that video. From what I've seen through the video, it's every bit as versatile as advertised. I pretty sure they have different levels in the T5. The most being around $3,500 or so (I think, can't remember)

Not that it matters but, Dave Matthews played it in his new song “American Baby”. The video of his new song is also on the Taylor website. My wife and I are going to see DMB in two weeks…….. I'll have to see if he plays it for just that song or other songs as well.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

get it vic...and give us pictures

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4