Clear all

singing the notes

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Whats the best way to go about singing the notes on my guitar.. i want to do this to improve my ear and help me learn all the notes of the fretboard

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

In order to sing a note - or anything - you first have to hear it in your head. Pluck a note, listen to it and see if you can hum or sing that same pitch. It just takes a little work is all.

Then go to the next note and do the same. It may not help you learn all the notes on the guitar, but it will help your ability to think of a note and find it on the fretboard.

Best

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Do you want help with the actual note singing, or suggestions for effective ways to practice your pitch by singing notes? I recommend singing along with what you're playing (a little hard when you play chords), because you'll get better at playing what you're singing, or thinking.

ReplyQuote
 bltc
(@bltc)
Trusted Member

Try tabbing out the notes and singing along with it.

It may be difficult if you are tone deaf. In that case, trying singing some Karaoke.

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

well, internalizing a tone is a pretty strange process, its more or less like learning a color, and certain things work better than others.

a little twist on the fore-mentioned methods is play a note, then mute it, wait 2 or 3 seconds, then sing it, then check your accuracy, then you can go through scales, trying to remember the tone

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Wow that sounds boring (to me).

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

it sure is

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

It may be boring but I would say snoogans assessment is correct.

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

To augment (and agree with) what Snoogans suggested, try doing some George Benson style single note playing while simultaneously singing each note. Since you are singing in unison with the guitar, it is obvious whether you are "in" or "out," and it is definitely fun. After doing this for a while you should be able to trade lines with yourself, starting scales, riffs or lines with either either guitar or voice and completing with the other, or simply repeating. It's amazing how quickly this will become imprinted in your head. It's definitely not boring. If you get pretty good at it, you've got a new soloing skill, as well.

You may wish to start with something easy, such as a major or major/minor pentatonic scale.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@spacedog03)
Estimable Member

When I was 10 or 11 our music teacher at school spent a bit of time trying to get me to hit the note she was singing. She even took me out in the hall so I would'nt feel embarrassed in front of the other kids. She eventually just told me not to sing with the other kids. Pretty sad huh? :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Another fun thing to do, after finding the notes and singing them in unison, is to start singing the harmony to them as you're playing, say 3rds all the way up the scale and back. Benson does this at times but from what I've heard he's singing what he's playing - in unison.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If you have a chromatic tuner, sing into it (assuming that it has a mic for acoustic tuning). You'll get an accurate response as to how near you are to hitting the right note.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote