Single guitar playe...

Notifications
Clear all

Single guitar player... sound filler??

19 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@skucker)

Don't forget about Pantera/Damageplan's Dimebag Darrell!!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Listen to 'pretty mary sunlite' by jerry reed.Nothing serves as a better example of a single guitar which sounds so complete that any other instrument in the song will prove to be an overkill.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Don't be afraid for the bass player and drummer to go it alone. It is not always necessary to hear a loud guitar.

Listen to many Nirvana songs, Kurt would simply sing during the verses with the support of bass and drums. Maybe a pretty note here or there. But then, boom! He came on strong with distortion and power chords during the chorus.

A favorite group of mine that used this to great effect was the Pixies. They had two guitar players. But many times during the verses you only hear bass and drums.

Whenever a good bass player and drummer get in a groove together, you really don't need much else. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

As a member of a trio , I can say I once had some of the same worries . I had always been in a two guitar , bass and drums format before so suddenly being thrust into being the only guitarist (+ bass and drums ) was a bit daunting . The things I have done are as follows :

1. Turn everyone up . This will fill much of the empty space all by itself . A drummer who overplays a little is essential .

2. I always mike the guitar amp , even if nothing else is being miked . Guitar amps are very directional and someone standing off to the side will hear bass and drums but very little guitar . Miking the amp gives me more coverage through the front end .

3. Accept the fact that in playing a Lynyrd Skynyrd song with a three piece band you're going to have to boil the song down to its most basic ingredients and play those parts that are absolutely essential to it . If you play what you play well the audience will appreciate it .

4. Have fun ! If you're having fun the crowd will see it and they'll want to join in . It is a party after all .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2