Skip to content
So now that I have ...

Notifications
Clear all

So now that I have mastered the major scale....

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well at least now that I know what chords fit into which major scales, I need to know this: What scales fit over these chords for soloing or leads?? Can anyone explain this, let keep it simple, in the key of C major. Or.. point me to a lesson that does a good job of this.
Thanks guys, next stop is minor scales......

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Very simply, to get a purely major sound. It would be best to play a C major scale, or even a C major pentatonic scale over a C major scale.

For minor, there are a few more options. But for C minor, the C minor and C minor pentatonic would work as well (there are actually 3 minor scales so there are more options).

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

But I once read, I think on another post here, that over a major scale, that a minor pentatonic would work better, or a blues scale (which is basically similar), and you can also play like an A minor scale, or something like that. I don't really know that's why I am asking. Did I read this wrong?? Basically what I am asking is what are all the scales that would work in a major key.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Michhill8, there's not really a simple answer, which may be why you haven't gotten many replies.

(Well, okay, like Steve-O said, one possible simple answer would be to play Cmaj or Cmaj pentatonic over a chord progression in C ... but I think you're looking for the "how" and "why" as much as the "what.")

You're getting deep into music theory here, and it's way beyond me to answer, but I think this article from Darrin Koltow has much of the information you are looking for:
http://www.maximummusician.com/GuitarImprovising.htm

He covers some of the scales you can play over a chord progression; of course, you could also use arpeggios.

Also keep in mind that Amin pentatonic is the same as Cmaj pentatonic (A being the 6th note of the Cmaj scale) - I think this is the minor scale you are thinking of.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

hey thanks slejhammer

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote