Clear all

some guy in my dorm plays guitar too

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

He's been playing for 5 years and lives one room down from me. I've been playing 2 months but he says if I wanna jam I can come down. Only problem is that he's good, I'm not. He likes punk, I don't. What do you guys think?

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Teach him what you can then dump him.... :lol:

Actually, take advantage of the opportunity since you will learn alot from the exchange. Does not matter what the music is when you are learning because what is most important is learning the techniques etc. Any pointers or observations from a more skilled (for that matter any) player is extremely valuable.

Good luck and enjoy...

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yep. Good advice. I agree.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Unless you have something against learning something, I would suggest you go one room down from you.

You can't lose. A technique is a technique. It doesn't matter what genre you play!

What's the worst that could happen, you learn something different.

ReplyQuote
 bltc
(@bltc)
Trusted Member

Think of it this way, unless he has God given abilities, chances are he was at the same level as you were. So he should find some common ground with that.

Another thing is, all of the guitar players that I've met (including me) absolutely love being asked questions about guitars. Its almost like a compliment when you ask someone to help you out.

At least this is how I take it when someone asks me about how to play.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

"...all of the guitar players that I've met (including me) absolutely love being asked questions about guitars. Its almost like a compliment when you ask someone to help you out."

That's sounds about right. Unless this guy is a snob. If he is, break his fretting hand.

Warning: don't do the aforementioned.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

When ever you get a chance to practice or play with someone don't even think twice just play. You can always learn something, then add into your playing ability. Reminds me of the time I got asked to come play with a few guys that played crying in your beer country, wasn't my thing but I did anyway and had a blast. Old time country with overdriven rock lead we all left that night with smiles from ear to ear.

I played everything in Reverse and they where happy.
The drummer got his truck back, the bass player got his girl back, the guitarist got his dog back.....lol

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Agreed. He can definitely teach you the basics of playing, and odds are that once he teaches you a few more advanced things like barre chords (which at first are a real bitch, makes it easier if you learn them on an electric), you will progress quickly with regular practice.

I've got some guys across the hall from me (I am also a dorm-dweller) who also play guitar. They play a mix of stuff, some punk, some ska / reggae, some classic rock. I pick up what I can from them, I listen to punk, proto-punk, hard rock, blues, classic rock, indie, and a dab of hair metal. You'd be surprised how much stuff overlaps :)

Besides, everybody who plays guitar and is social, LOVES passing on knowledge about it. Just don't go off on him too much if he starts talking about how X band or Y band has the best rhythm or lead guitarist of all time... that tends to be like car people arguing over which year of X or Y car is faster, better handling, etc...

Enjoy and good luck in your fretboard studies!

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@longdave)
Trusted Member

I never used to give Punk the time of day until I heard a friend playing it. I thought 'that looks quite easy - I think I'll have a go when I get home.'

It isn't easy, but I now have an appreciation for the music, so I gained from the experience.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I think one of the hardest things in punk is to be able to play really fast. I cringe when I try to play some Ramones songs beating at 190 bpm and it's all downstroke power chords. OUCH!

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote