Notifications
Clear all

speaker cabs part 2

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@moosejr)
Topic starter  

I think I need to reask the ?. The head is soild state and says it needs a 2ohm load minimum at the speaker outputs. There is a right and a left speaker out do I need to have a load on both outputs or can I have lets say a 8ohm load on just one of the outputs?

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

MooseJr

"2 Ohms Minimum" means your amp can handle as low as a 2 Ohm load, but no lower. So you could run a 2 X 12 with two 4 Ohms speakers in parallel which is a 2 Ohm load for instance. Or even a 4 X 12 with all 8 Ohms speakers in parallel which is a 2 Ohm load.

2 X 8 Ohms in parallel= 4 Ohms 8 divided by 2
3 X 8 Ohms in parallel= 2.67 Ohms 8 divided by 3
4 X 8 Ohms in parallel= 2 Ohms 8 divided by 4

2 X 8 Ohms in series= 16 Ohms
4 X 8 Ohms in series= 32 Ohms

Go below 2 Ohms and the amp will overheat and probably damage it.

You could run a speaker cabinet with a 4 or 8 Ohm load as well. But the amp will put out less watts at the higher impedence loads.

What amp is this you are talking about, make and model?

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@moosejr)
Topic starter  

Its a Crate G120C head.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

speaking from a purely electrical standpoint.
Using only one side and not plugging anything into the other meets the minimum criteria provided you have at least 2 ohms on the one you are using.
Not plugging anything into the other output is an infinate resistance (not really infinate because air does have ability to conduct electricity but the resistance is so high most people consider it infinate) certainly much higher than 2 ohms.
I would imagine using a single cab would be ok but it certainly wouldn't hurt to give Crate a call to be sure.

ReplyQuote