Notifications
Clear all

Strat Dilemma

45 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Here's an idea for you. Get a sheet of clear plastic that exhibits Total Internal Reflection. Cut it to pickguard shape and engrave the face of it with any design you like. As light hits the sides of the pickguard, the rays will be retained within the plastic sheet, until they hit one or other of the sides or the lines of an engraving - wherever the rays hit will "light up".
You often see this sort of thing on exit signs - a sheet of clear plastic or glass, with the word "exit" lit up in the middle of it.
Care to explain a bit more? >_____> I think I see what you mean though.

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ken, thanks for the great post and ideas for pickups! I am going to have to decide what sound I am going for.

To anyone that reads this, (hopefully) without sounding mushy, I personally feel very fortunate to have come across this great site and forum. What a great group of people!! Even when there are disagreements, it is respectful and in the end all is good. I have seen other sites where the sniping is so bad, it almost becomes comical.

Gratefully,
Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Here, the comedy gets so bad we don't need sniping. :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Here, the comedy gets so bad we don't need sniping. :lol:

True Ricochet, true.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

I wouldn't frequent this board if I couldn't laugh :lol:

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Snipe? Snipe? What snipe? Now a grouse .... look at the grouse, look at the grouse! Nuck nuck nuck nuck .......... wooo wooo wooo wooo woooo!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Here's an idea for you. Get a sheet of clear plastic that exhibits Total Internal Reflection. Cut it to pickguard shape and engrave the face of it with any design you like. As light hits the sides of the pickguard, the rays will be retained within the plastic sheet, until they hit one or other of the sides or the lines of an engraving - wherever the rays hit will "light up".
You often see this sort of thing on exit signs - a sheet of clear plastic or glass, with the word "exit" lit up in the middle of it.
Care to explain a bit more? >_____> I think I see what you mean though.
You get a good idea here

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Biker,

Actually I think those aren't bad. I might have to buy some

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

at a car show I saw a paint job that blew everyone away. at any angle it was a different color. standing head on each panel, hood, roof, side panel took on a color from purple to gold. I never found out how it was done. very classy.

isnt it amazing that with guitars and their relative small size that they can take on an enormous amount of bling and not look silly.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

at a car show I saw a paint job that blew everyone away. at any angle it was a different color. standing head on each panel, hood, roof, side panel took on a color from purple to gold. I never found out how it was done. very classy.

isnt it amazing that with guitars and their relative small size that they can take on an enormous amount of bling and not look silly.

What you saw is called Chromaflair paint. It's pretty cool stuff made with different kinds of metal in it to reflect the light depending on angle. Here's a quick overview of what it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChromaFlair

I have no idea how much it costs though :?

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I've seen that paint on some cars. There's a guy at work that has a Mustang with that paint. When it's not in the light it looks like a dark blue bu t when the light hits it it changes colors...pretty neat.

I think dupont makes it, Jeff Gordon had the paint on a few of his cars a year or so ago.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Fender had a series of guitars, here in Germany, with that paint - they called it chameleon paint. Most were "green", that turned to blue with changes in the light.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Epiphone have released some LPs in Chameleon too

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

What you saw is called Chromaflair paint. It's pretty cool stuff made with different kinds of metal in it to reflect the light depending on angle.

I wonder how that stuff would look under stage lighting?
I expect it could be spectacular.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3