Clear all

String Questions

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking for getting some new strings for my 51'. I still have the factory strings on there, and everyone says that new strings are a must.

I want to stay with 9's to maintain the ease of fretting.

I'm looking for a bright, slightly jangly tone but not piercing, but comfortably close. I know an EQ Pedal would help too, but until wrestling is over and I have time to work, or it starts snowing so the neighbors need me to shovel them out I'm broke, and right now i've got enough quarters saved up for some strings :oops:

Being a student-athlete puts a lot of strain on my potential guitar dedicated income :roll:

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Once you get a bit of money, you could look at buying bulk strings. I usually get D'addidario in sets of 10 of 15 on ebay, you get a significant discount with the more sets you buy.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@doc-gliss)
Eminent Member

I too, like D'Addario's. (XL-120's are "9's".) Just replacing old strings will make the guitar sound brighter.

Doc

If the dude woke up this mornin', he's playin'.

ReplyQuote
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member

Ernie Ball Slinkies are jangly. I don't use them, but I hear good things.

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I buy in bulk from Musicians Friend. If you buy several sets at a time you can get them down to like $3.50 a set. New strings will make your guitar sound better. I use D'Addario's and Ernie Ball Slinkie's. Not sure if I have a preference.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

While buying in bulk is a great idea from the point of view of a) money and b) consistency, I'd advise against it for now - wait until you've found a brand that you're definately happy with. I tried quite a few each time I changed my strings until I found the ones I like, I'd've been quite annoyed with myself to be stuck with a brand that weren't right for me :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I dont buy bulk. Ernie Ball Super Slinkeys nickel wound 9's. are nice. personally, I like and use heavier strings .10's for me.
EB strings are 4.50$ in my town. not bad.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Not bad at all dogbite. A lot of music stores will want $6 or more for strings that are $3.50 on line. Yeah you are right Misanthrope. You need to know what you like before buying more than one set at a time. I was just thinking that once you figure out what you like buying several sets at a time actually saves you money. I know D'Addario 3 packs are $10. Nothing but good advice from everyone here.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

While buying in bulk is a great idea from the point of view of a) money and b) consistency, I'd advise against it for now - wait until you've found a brand that you're definately happy with. I tried quite a few each time I changed my strings until I found the ones I like, I'd've been quite annoyed with myself to be stuck with a brand that weren't right for me :wink:

That's a good point. Perhaps if he tries out different sets and decides what he likes, he should then look at buying them in bulks.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm gonna try the ernie balls first. I've tried the d'adario strings before but I remember I didn't like something about them. I think they were really bassy for my taste.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

If your close to a Guitar Center. I just bought a box of 10 sets of DHS "FATTY"S for $20. They're on "Clearance".

They have both 9's and 10's. I prefer the 10's on ALL my electric Guitars.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've always used 10's or 11's but I really like the feal of the 9's this guitar came with. Its easier on my smaller hands, and easier to fret.

What advantages do heavier strings give?

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i've tried them all, i like ernie ball super slinkeys, but some one that has a 51 told me that he uses fender bullets on his, but i have never treid them 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote