Clear all

Takamine v.s. Takamine

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@howyadoin)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've been looking for a good Takamine 12-string acoustic-electric dreadnought. And I recently came across this guitar:

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/26U-1502.htm

Does this look like a good guitar? If I do get this guitar, I would definitely fix it up...and install a new pre-amp.

Or....

Should I go with a brand new one for $800?

http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=133&sid=66

I'm personally leaning towards the old Takamine EF-385.....I like it's looks much better... But I just don't want it to be a cheap guitar....and "cheap" sounding... Which guitar should I go with? What do you guys think?

Thanks!

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

the old one looks nice. find out how much it will cost to fix it up.

ReplyQuote
(@lederhoden)
Trusted Member

The amount and type of work that is needed is a bit worrying.

Nick can tell you much more about the possible cost (today and in the near future - it may need refretting soon).

Although, even if you have to put 350-400 into sprucing the old one up, you should have a really nice guitar for far less than the new one.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

the old one kinda looks like a martin knock off (takamine & co.) (C.F. Martin & Co.) but I dont like that it just says spruce and mahogany, usually they advertize that its solid wood.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Bought the wife the EF-381 off eBay, very good.

As noted above, ask your local shop what it would cost to do the tasks listed. It sounds to me like it should be around $100-150, so $250-300 total, and that's with the $50+ case.

Also, it's not clear how many of these tasks are "needed", it may sound great and play well as is.

If it was me, I'd go for it.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

If the neck is separating, and that sounds like what's happening, there may be more that needs doing than what's stated. The top could be bowed up. braces could be loose. I wouldn't take a chance unless I could inspect it before shelling out my hard earned cash.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@howyadoin)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

What makes it sound like the neck's separating?

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

The seller says it may need a neck reset. The only reason I can think of that it would need a reset is that the neck is separating.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

The seller says it may need a neck reset. The only reason I can think of that it would need a reset is that the neck is separating.

I would follow up with the seller. It's strange that he says "Very Good" condition, but needs all that work.

-Laz

ReplyQuote