Technique

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have this problem I'm trying to analyse and correct. Having played acoustic western guitar for many years I'm used to strumming full chords -with a pick. Trying now to crack the code of electric guitar playing, I notice that I have problems changing from strumming more strings to picking single notes. I manage Ok when I practice riffs and scales etc. Speed is decent and improving. It is when I start off playing chords and then continue for a solo - Not like I have to stop playing and start over again, but it doesn't run as smooth as I would like it to do. Just like I have to switch somehow from "backing mode" to "lead mode". Maybe I reposition the pick or my hand slightly or maybe it is more of a mental thing. Does anyone else experience smth. like this?

Hints, tips, comments and suggestions for practice are very welcome!

Lars
(snow is falling here in Norway - another good season for playing guitar :D )

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Is it a sort of feeling of hestiation? You get in the mind set of strumming and you have to hesitate and adjust your thinking when you go to solo?
If that is the case I'd imagine its just a matter of confidence which will soon come naturally.

In regard to the pick position - I do find that if I strum my pick is held much lighter and kind of ends up sliding out of my grip a little. But when you solo you should have a grip on your pick so that it doesnt stick out too much and it doesnt slide out of position (but dont hold too tight mind you lol. Dont wanna be stiff)

ReplyQuote
 Loke
(@loke)

I know your problem, I had to deal with this some years ago. I'm playing electric and acoustique jazz guitar and I think I can help you. If ya want I can come over - I'm currently living in Oslo - and show you some hints. If you're satisfied then, you can give me a sixpack øl or something like this, 'cause Oslo is sooo expensive, and I'm just a poor student..
Just send me an PM

ReplyQuote