Notifications
Clear all

Techniques that dont interest you, do you still try them

19 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i usually hybrid pick when i'm already flatpicking something, but then i feel like fingerpicking, but i don't want to lose a beat, or i'm by myself and i want a little chordal accompaniament to the lines i'm playing.

playing with teeth always seemed superfluous to me, although i've done it.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Good timing on this post. I was just wonder a few days ago if I was odd because I've never tried any alternate tunings. Granted, I haven't been playing long, but I've not once tuned my guitars differently. Even the songs I've tried to learn that use different tunings I've done in standard. Didn't sound the same, but I'm still trying to learn the basics and didn't want to mess with a different tuning just yet. I will at some point though.

I haven't messed much with finger picking either. I will on occasion try it, but find myself using the pick again.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It depends. When I see a new technique, or hear something that's really unusual, I usually try to duplicate it IF:

1. I think it's something I'd like to incorporate in my playing or

2. I think a student may ask me how it's done.

On the other hand, you see some techniques that are just plain strange... like gluing three picks to an electric drill bit for a tremolo effect. I sort of file those away under 'circus tricks' and never attempt them.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

The student aspect is fairly important, as they have a habit of saying "how does X do that?" and it helps if you've got some kind of handle on it. So even if it doesn't interest you it still keeps your students onside.

In my own playing, trying something new makes me a more varied player; and that means I can rustle up something different when I'm recording my own stuff.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2