the basic building blocks

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hi all,

trying to work some more theroy into my practice schedule, but also relate it all into something practical - songwriting.
so what are the basic theroy building blocks used in writing songs, and how should i practice them

This is my signature. Fear it.

(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

There's not really one answer to this question. My suggestion would be to work on keys. Learn scales/modes in specific keys and then write melodies based on those scales. I'd also do chord progressions in certain keys to go along with your melodic stuff. you can search online to find chord/scale/mode theory stuff. That should get you started and keep you busy for some time.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The building blocks of theory are intervals, scales, and chords.

The building blocks of songwriting.... well, that would be lyrical plot, meter, melody, and progression.

There's some overlap, and theory helps with writing, but not that much.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

You can approach songwritting either through theory or by ear. I do both and I find them equally as good, provided you have a fairly deep understanding of scales and modes (or chords if your more rythem based). I often find when im composing by ear, i notice the notes fitting into a scale anyway (or a mode)

Using theory in a composition, either:
1) I choose a key, whether it'll be major or minor and then choose my scale(s) and mode(s) and go from there - thinking about changes in key, mode, speed and tempo. Also the use of different scales, arpeggios (by they sweeped or not), chromatic notes and harmonies and/or backing sections - All these make for a more interesting composition

2) Or I just play by ear (although I dont hear the music in my head cos i find it restrictive). This often ends up being greatly helped by theory, as it aids my note choice if I realise im playing in a certain scale.

Theory also facilitates leaving a gap in your composition for some improvisation
Many people take the opinion that theory restricts your composing. But that is only true up to a certain ammount of knowledge. I found that once I got past that level, to a certain depth of understanding and knowledge, that it opened up new ideas to me and gives brilliant ways of varying the sound u produce...Least thats what I found.

ReplyQuote