Clear all

THE BEAST

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@rocker4life)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have a Johnson Strat style :lol: guitar which, I have big mod plans for it. And i just want some more opinions. Well for starters im getting a new all black pick guard for it ( right now its alll black wit a wite pick guard) on the new pick gaurd i want to put three if not just two hot rails. Im undecided on weather to get Kramer dual rail pick ups or Seymour Duncan Hot rails. Next I want to buy a new neck for my guitar, some thing with 22 or more frets, right now i only have 21. Hopefully by the end of the summer it will be the BEAST :twisted: Basically this all the plans i have so far. Any sugestions are welcomed thanks
:?:

"We play it the way the air is in America today. The air is slightly
static isn't it ? You know what I mean ? " -Jimi

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Not real sure about the neck part?
I would expect ,unless you are going to move the bridge, that the neck would have to be the same scale or your frets wont line up properly for your notes. ie.. 12th fret at about half the length of the string for one octave.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

A 22 fret neck will be longer to accomodate the additional fret and maintain the same scale (25.5 in, if true Fender clone). The means the 22 fret neck would have to either have a little fingerboard overhang that extends over the body of the guitar or the whole neck will be longer and the neck pocket (cutout in guitar body where neck is mounted) will have to be made longer by removing material in the direction toward the bridge to compensate and mount it in the correct position. You may be able to find a neck with an extended fingerboard that fits a 21 fret pocket (for example my Reverend Slingshot has this - but no, Reverend does not sell necks as a policy). OTOH, I don't recommend fitting a longer neck (no overhang) unless you are handy, confident and have a decent router to extend the neck pocket, as it will also precipitate a series of other changes -- e.g., pickguard reshape and possibly pup movement (nasty).

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@mikey007)
Estimable Member

this sounds like it is gonna cost a litte money......why don't u just buy the guitar u like with this stuff on it?

Just my thoughts

ReplyQuote
(@rocker4life)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

:D Well i really think its gonna cost me like around $50 bucks total( Yea i know it sounds crazy, but with patience i can make it work) :twisted: . I sorta changed my mind about the neck, but i still wanna get the new pickups and pickguard. :lol:
Any other opinions on mods i can do???
:?: :idea:

ReplyQuote
(@mr-mervyn)
Eminent Member

You could try and put in mustang switches so u can get the pickups to be in or out of phase. You could also put in a new nut, different capacitors or one of those synth pickups. Just some ideas.

Mervyn

Cheers.

Better shred than dead.

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

synth pickup would be pretty cool, but a roland synth is 600 bucks minimum.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Pickups alone would be mroe than 50 bucks if I'm not mistaken.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker4life)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I know a friend that can get them brand new for 10 bucks each
but these are Kramer, he can get me Duncan ones for 20 bucks a piece

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Wow, how does he manage that?

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@racer-y)
Estimable Member

Hi.
Are they Duncan Pickups, or Duncan designed? there is a very big difference.....
just cause it was designed by Seymore Duncan doesn't mean a thing.
the manufacturer could only use the elements of the design that
was cost effective, or ( and this is not uncommon) use a totally different design for the pick up. SD could have submitted the design to the
manufacturer and it get totally ignored, yet the pick up model they are selling was in fact designed by SD - they just didn't use it...
thus $10 SD...
Do the math. 10 dollars is not only way below wholesale cost but
way below production cost as well.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but when
you're a 22lb sledge, do you really have to be?

ReplyQuote