The difference between being Pleasantly Pushy and Annyoing

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@homchz)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Long story short

Due to my significant other having a long term illness, I have dropped out of the local scene, and now I am looking to get back in the three years I have been absent everything has changed up a bit. The people I knew to get the shows are not really doing it anymore, and some of the musicians I worked with have moved on or are doing a different style of music.

Bottom line. I am starting from the bottom again networking wise.

I understand the process of submitting for the gig, but the call backs and recalling is where I have my toughest time.

I have heard that you call until you get a yes or a no and then move from there. I just want to know some opinions on how thin the line is to becoming an annoyance that will never get booked, or someone who will at least be taken seriously even after a few phone calls.

I see a lot of places are booking from there Open Mic Rosters, but I also see a trend of muscians booking for clubs and then swapping booking with other artists doing the same thing. Where if you have nothing to offer back, then you have no chance.

Any thoughts on the booking process after the material has been submitted?

Joshua Jones New Folk Singer Songwriter
Joshua Jones @ MySpace

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Hey Josh, I just now found this thread. Good question. I browsed your links and also some of your posts here just to get an idea of what you do.

As far as your main question is concerned, my opinion is that there may not really be such a thing as 'too pushy' or 'annoying' as far as the business side of things is concerned. From what you've said, it almost seems that you were once part of a group or duo or other type of act and didn't have to deal with venue people and whatnot - which is fine really. In our little act I'm not the 'people person' or the front person, so I just sorta tag along. But it still gets back to the basic two sides of being a musician - the creative, artistic part, and the business end. They're really totally different (which I'm sure you well know already :) ), but...I dunno how to say it really - it just seems like you're trying to be too politically correct and polite and proper with the people you deal with on the business side of things. Not to say that one should be rude and nasty, but the concerns you've brought up as far as "Pleasantly Pushy" or "Annoying" tends to make me think that you're really concerned about how you come off to people - obviously, hence this thread. But what I'm saying is, don't worry about being pushy or even annoying. You have a goal - to perform - and you should let nothing stop you, not even yourself, or your ideas of how people consider you. The business side is pretty cut-throat, and though you don't have to go that far - like ace-ing out other performers and stepping on people - there's a certain leeway (I think) in venue people's minds where they will have a larger tolerance for pushy people. They expect it and sometimes, want it.

In other words I think you're thinking too much about the venue people (their concerns and feelings and patience) and not enough about you, and the music, and performing it. I mean, you got into music for the music's sake perhaps. Or the creativity or the feeling and emotion and excitement one can only get playing live onstage. Whichever that is, it doesn't seem like it's being served because you are a little too concerned with the other people.

Just go ahead and be pushy, be annoying. Call back until they tell you to f-off or give you the gig. I mean, I don't know if you've experienced this onstage or while performing, but some folk 'put on' a character, almostl like in a movie, and when they step onstage, they become that person and they can perform without freaking out. It's possible that the same thing can be done with the business side of things. Not really a clinical multiple personality thing, but just a mental state or a base understanding of what's required, and then you're not you anymore but, say, Brian Epstein-ish, or the guy talking money for the Rolling Stones. Not harsh or combative, but making them see how they will benefit by hiring your act and playing tunes from the CD perhaps or emailing them music links and convincing them of how your music will fit into this event or that event...stuff like that.

Another idea which you've probably also had is the freebie stuff which you mentioned - the open mic nights. From your post I gather you're not needing the money from it, and freebie events just really put you out there. Our little act is pretty much a none paying thing; not even gas. Maybe a meal here and there - Hawaiian food's a little scarce, so it's always welcome. But it's done out of the love for the music first and foremost. And then the network, the 'grapevine' we used to call it, starts flowing. Have to start somewhere, and hopefully, since this is an older post, you've already had some success. Looks like you're doing the right moves - online stuff, CD ready to go; you just need the live things to get it flowing again.

Anyhow man, just some thoughts; you've been doing it for quite awhile so I'm sure they're nothing new. Maybe just hearing it from someone else will make it click.

Best of luck and warm regards :)

ReplyQuote