Clear all

Transport questions

15 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

OK, I know this has come up before in the context of air travel, but I'm going to be driving, and was just wondering if I need to take any special precautions.

I'm going to be driving from sunny So Cal to the mid atlantic coast, to parts not terribly distant from our own Nick and Olav. I have two accoustics that will accompany me. I have a hard case for one, and a cheapo bag for the other. They'll both be in the back of a pickup. Has anyone got any advice on this? i.e., loosen the strings, precautions relating to prolonged road vibrations, anything like that? These aren't real expensive works of art, but they're all I have, and I love 'em both. So any words of wisdom are welcome.

Thanks.

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I've travelled many times with my guitar in the car, either in the trunk or backseat and I never did anything special other than to make sure it didn't slide around.

The only thing I would suggest is that I would put something soft between the bed of the pickup and the guitars.

I guess you could loosen the strings a bit, I've never done it but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Nothing that's not obvious in any other transporting situation I would say: Don't leave large amounts of weight on top of them for any length of time (the soft case at least), secure them well.

Never loosened the strings on mine, but again, couldn't hurt.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Make sure they don't get too cold... Frigid temperature associated with the wind back there can do bad damage to them. I don't think this would be much of a problem with the hard case. I think you should get another hard case for the other one. I found this while looking around on the net

Just as you would not leave a child or pet overnight in a car in the dead of winter in Minneapolis or leave one unattended for even a few minutes in the hot summer sun in a car with the windows rolled up, your guitar or any other instrument will not take well to this sort of abuse. While technically speaking your guitar may not be alive, if you treat your instruments as though they were alive and provide them the same temperature and humidity conditions which are most comfortable for you, they will perform at their optimum and be far less prone to problems

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@mikey007)
Estimable Member

hey guys....i thought i could post this topic here since its basically the same. I live in canada...yes the coldest place on teh face of the freakin planet. So when i go to guitar lessons it is sometimes -30 below and i was wondering if it would hurt it just going from my house to the car and then to guitar lessons. This is my solid top acoustic by the way. And one other thing.....i think i am playing for worship a camp this summer so i was wondering if i have to worry about plus 30 and then it raining and stuff. Thanx alot

Mikey

Oh and i do use a humidifier in the case.

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

use a humidifier in winter and a de-humidifier in summer

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

If you can, keep the one in the gig bag up in the cab with you. The one in the hardshell case, I would wrap in a heavy blanket and bungee cord it to the inside of the bed.

ReplyQuote
 Val
(@val)
Estimable Member

http://www.ringmusic.com/tips/travelcare.html

Particularly note paragraph about loosening strings.

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks gang,

I probably will keep the bagged one up front. And the other tips you all provided are quite handy. Good advice,

Thanks again.

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

hey guys....i thought i could post this topic here since its basically the same. I live in canada...yes the coldest place on teh face of the freakin planet. So when i go to guitar lessons it is sometimes -30 below and i was wondering if it would hurt it just going from my house to the car and then to guitar lessons. This is my solid top acoustic by the way. And one other thing.....i think i am playing for worship a camp this summer so i was wondering if i have to worry about plus 30 and then it raining and stuff.

Warm up your car first, get that heater going and the interior temp up then go get your guitar. Walking from your door to the car won't be a problem. It's prolonged exposure to cold, as long as your car is warmish when you get there you should be fine.

Opposite is true for summer, if your car is hot crank up the AC to cool it off first, then get your guitar.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Traveling from coast to coast your most likely going to run into rain, snow or a combination there of. I would never put my guitar in the back of a pickup, even for a short ride. She would be up front with me.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Mikey. you don't live in Canada. You live in Winnepeg don't you. :P I live in Vancouver and it's been hovering around 13-16 degerees celsius.(around or near 60-65 degrees farenheight).

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

just started getting colder here.... again... I thought it was spring... but then it snowed.... and I cried

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

just started getting colder here.... again... I thought it was spring... but then it snowed.... and I cried....

ReplyQuote
(@mikey007)
Estimable Member

i live in saskatchewan.....but its -15C today....welcome to saskatchewan!!!

ReplyQuote