0 Likes
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi all

This is a very playable song, apart from one part -
Abdim
Take that look from off your face

I have seen a number of suggestions to play this chord, none of which i particularly like.

If you can play this song, how do YOU play it?

Thanks

Matt

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Check out Howard's Big List of Guitar Chords. He lists 52 possible variations for the chord. One of them should work! (If not, the chord listed in the tab you're using might be wrong.)
Hope that helps.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Matt, have you tried playing an E7 without the root?

E7 contains the notes E, Ab, B and D....

Abdim is comprised of Ab, B and D...

so if you play E7 like this...

E A D G B E
x 2 0 1 0 x

you have all the notes you need......and if you can stretch your pinkie to the fourth fret on the 1st string, that's also Ab.....
To be honest, I don't think it'd make too much difference if you played the full E7 chord....it's a close substitute....

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Cheers to both of you.

I'll give that a go Vic

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com has good tabs. I used to lpay that song, I think i just did a regular Am, although I could be incorrect.

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@moonchild)

I play xx0104 but I think xx3434 is better.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

xx3434 works better for me as it comes after the barred G at the 3rd fret and works up to the Am at the 5th fret straight afterwards - so what you're achieving is 3rd fret, 4th fret, 5th fret up the first string, and then coming back down the neck again with the G and F chords.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I looked up a couple of tabs for this....one of them did it this way -

E A D G B E
4 2 0 1 0 x

(Which is pretty much the same as I suggested doing, but I was adding the extra Ab on the first string.....)....and it was labelled G#/E7 ....E7/G# would've looked better....

anyway....the Ab dim comes between the G and the Am....so I still think it makes more sense to play it with open chords, although the progression Alan suggested does sound pretty nice.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Vic

Thanks for making the effort, appreciated

Kind regards

Matt

Out of interest, anyone got a good strum pattern for this? I have been using Down(pause) D/U/D/U

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

I base my version on the 42010x, but I am sloppy and lazy so I play 320100, which is very easy because it's just a C shifted up a string. Has always sounded fine to my ears.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Martin-6 said:

"I base my version on the 42010x, but I am sloppy and lazy so I play 320100, which is very easy because it's just a C shifted up a string. Has always sounded fine to my ears."

what you're actually playing there is an E7/G chord....sounds fine in theory, but there's a nasty discord between the G on the 6th string and the Ab on the 4th......

Vic

ReplyQuote